• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ RAM eqivalency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I had this RAM go back on RMA:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820227286
(OCZ Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth, 7-6-6-24 1.8V (It says 1.9 on the page, but the sticker on the ram said 1.8))

OCZ says they don't make them any more (fair enough), and has offered to replace it with this RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227316
(OCZ Gold, 8-8-8-24, 1.9V)

This seems to be a downgrade to me.

I notice that this is still at the Egg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227297
(OCZ Platinum, 7-7-7-24, 1.7V)

I know it is .2V less, but it is also still a little slower on the timings, and my motherboard will go down to 1.5V

On an eqivalency basis, should I be asking for the 7-7-7-24 Plats instead?

I wouldn't settle for the ocz gold. You paid for lower timings and the other ocz product you linked to is closer than what they are trying to stick you with. The ocz golds also have issues with quality consistency from what I've experienced.

Same thing happened to me this month. My DDR Patriot BCLK TCCD (these chips clock like crazy 2-2-2-5) chip past away and was RMA'ed. They first offer me 2x512 CL3-4-4-8 and I decline because they were no where near the performance of my old chip. Then they offered ddr2 and a 1gb stick cl3, which both were declined. After 1-2 weeks of communication I had to settled for 2x1gb 3-4-4-8 chips :(. Oh well my dad uses that system now so I'm don't need a performance ram. Paid a lot for those suckers too! makes you wonder about "lifetime warranties". rant over

Yes you should ask for the ram with similar performance. you paid a premium for it you should not receive anything less.

Last edited:
Are you RMAing through newegg or OCZ? From my experience, they seem very helpful when you feel like you're not getting a just exchange. Just ask if you can get the plats instead. You'll probably be able to clock them to the previous levels with a voltage bump.

Through OCZ. The RAM is about a year old.

The Newegg links were for spec comparisons.

Same thing happened to me this month. My DDR Patriot BCLK TCCD (these chips clock like crazy 2-2-2-5) chip past away and was RMA'ed. They first offer me 2x512 CL3-4-4-8 and I decline because they were no where near the performance of my old chip. Then they offered ddr2 and a 1gb stick cl3, which both were declined. After 1-2 weeks of communication I had to settled for 2x1gb 3-4-4-8 chips :(. Oh well my dad uses that system now so I'm don't need a performance ram. Paid a lot for those suckers too! makes you wonder about "lifetime warranties". rant over

Yes you should ask for the ram with similar performance. you paid a premium for it you should not receive anything less.

I can understand a bit more with some DDR1 though. I haven't seen performance DDR1 for a while as most people who would use it (i'm guessing) have already upgraded past.

I RMAed some OCZ Plat. DDR500, DDR2 may have been out when I RMAed but not for very long, they sent me back DDR400... :( Didn't notice it right away, and by the time I did I just figured screw it. Point being if you don't call and complain they will send whatever pleases them. If you call they may try to please you.

Last edited:
Well, I didn't call them, but I used the automated form to reply, and point out that what they are offering is slower RAM. I pointed out that the Platinum RAM that was similar spec to what I originally had, and told them that the 1.7V instead of 1.9V was fine, as my motherboard went down to 1.5V for RAM voltage settings. Then I asked if they could replace it with the Platinium instead of the Gold.

Well, before I had a chance to reply again (been sick for a few days), they called me up. I don't remember the exact part number they offered, but it was a Platinum LV part number.

edit: I check the RMA online, and this is what they are replacing it with: OCZ3P1600LV4GK
Which is 7-7-7-24 1.65V RAM.

Kudos to OCZ for coming through in the end.

I would request my money back if they dont want to replace with a similar "current model". no way I would settle for slower ram than what I paid for.

I would request my money back if they dont want to replace with a similar "current model". no way I would settle for slower ram than what I paid for.

Well, the RAM was originally as gift, so I didn't spend money on it in the first place, but I did get back an equivalent set. Timings are just a little looser, (7-7-7 instead of 7-6-6) but they don't make RAM to the old timings anymore.

Back