• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to DDR3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

Running 775 still but going to go with 1366 eventually. I am debating buying 6GB (2x3GB) now if I can find a good deal and just run 2 of them on the 775 and sell my DDR2. Let's say it takes me 6 months to get my new 1366 setup and then put in all 3 sticks, does anyone see any problems since 2 of the sticks will have been running for a while and the 3rd was still new?

Looking at something like this.
New egg link

In general, it sounds like a good plan to me assuming your MOBO plays nice with the DDR3. Some of those "C" type MOBOs show DDR3 support but don't actually run very well with it.

That's another thing I was afraid of. A friend bought the same mobo when I did but with a C2Q and had issues with DDR3. He RMA'd it and the next one was fine. He is still on that DDR3.

I might just try it and if it fails, stick with the DDR2 I guess.

Personally I don't think you're there yet. Your biggest performance upgrade is going te be upgrading to windows 7 64 bit, and getting more DDR2 RAM. Im assuming your drives are in a RAID array?
That's problaby the cheapest option. Save your money and get ATI HD 5890

Personally I don't think you're there yet. Your biggest performance upgrade is going te be upgrading to windows 7 64 bit, and getting more DDR2 RAM. Im assuming your drives are in a RAID array?
That's problaby the cheapest option. Save your money and get ATI HD 5890

Actually, I need to upgrade my sig, it is in process, but I do have x64 ready, just waiting for my SSD to do a fresh install. That and I got an E8400 on it's way and found 2 x 1GB Ballistix in my last desk box. The 500s are in RAID 1, the OS will be going on an OCZ Agility SSD(or 2 in RAID 0). I have been looking at GPUs but mine is okay for now and I am waiting for the new nVidia series to come out.

Back