• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1066Mhz DDR2 with P5N-E SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kILLDR3n

Registered
Does it work or is it compatible?

I currently have 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 in there and someone is selling 2 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator 1066MHz and another person is selling 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066MHz. No real reason why I'm getting 1066MHz, just that people were selling it on another forum for cheap.

What will it do if I combine it with my current RAM if it is compatible? It'll be then 4 x 1GB of RAM.

DDR2-1066MHz RAM isn't supported by the chipset. Since it only supports up to DDR2-800MHz, the DDR2-1066MHz RAM will be downclocked to DDR2-800MHz by the BIOS.

DDR2-1066MHz RAM isn't supported by the chipset. Since it only supports up to DDR2-800MHz, the DDR2-1066MHz RAM will be downclocked to DDR2-800MHz by the BIOS.

So will it do it automatically? So if I mix these 2 sets of RAM (XMS2 and dominator or ballistix) I'll be fine anyway?

On another site I got this response

"The XMS2 is a low-end set of memory (800 at CL5?), and runs at a low voltage. The other 2 sets you mentioned are high performance memory, and require a higher voltage to operate. Mixing a low-end set with a high-end set is usually a bad idea and may cause problems. You would have to downclock the 1066mhz memory, and lower it's voltage from 2.1v to 1.9v. Question is, if it's stable with that voltage or not.

Your best bet would be looking into a 2x2GB set and sell the 2x1GB set. The board you have doesn't play too well with all slots filled, especially mixed memory."

Would anyone agree with this?

Back