• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my loop set up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I have been reading, shopping, and sitting on parts since September, and finally got the time to put it together. I have to say, the Antec 900 is NOT the most friendly WC case out there. I mounted the rad on the back of the case, the pump sits on the notton of the case, with the inlet facing in an upward direction, while the outlet is facing the left side (the one with the window). I had a total of 9 feet of tubing that I had ordered, and still have 4 feet left over. That Primochill LRT is even more impressive when you actually get the loop together, with some extremely tight bends, and no kinks. Filling took maybe 5 minutes total, with the res. It was a simple matter of fill the res til water quits filling the tubing, bump the pump, fill the res again, another bump, and top off the res. It has been leak testing for around 2 1/2 hours, and so far no drips.

Here is a list of parts for anyone interested:
  • Laing D5 Vario, setting 5 (and I still can't hear it over the testing PSU:D)
  • HWLabs Black Ice GT Stealth 360
  • Yate Loon mediums (I know, I need either faster fans or a lower FPI rad)
  • Rheobus fan controller
  • Primochill LRT black 1/2"x3/4"
  • D-Tek Fuzion V1 with stiffening back plate
  • Swiftech MCW60
  • Swiftech MCRES V2
  • BP Compression fittings at rad and res (with a BP 45 single rotary to fit both compression fittings on the res:D)
  • BP True Silver barbs at the blocks

Total time spent on putting everything together, including modding the case where need be was around 10 hours. As soon as I can get some pics taken, I will explain what mods I spent so much time trying to figure out.

well i`ll stick around for the proof then :sly:

lured me in with no pretty pictures... sounds exciting :rolleyes:

good stuff pleased its going well :thup:

*Cough* First experience water cooling article. *Cough*

Looking forward to the pics! :)

never his first?

(hes all blue... lack of oxygen?)

*Cough* at me and i`ll assume we need an article badly ;)

sure my flight recorder tells me its not his first :shrug:

*Cough* First experience water cooling article. *Cough*

Looking forward to the pics! :)

I was actually thinking about doing something like this. I actually think it looks good for a first time setup. So far, I am sitting somewhere around 12 hours of leak testing, and haven't seen a drip yet. It was a lot of fun getting it together, but this is likely to be the last 900 I put under water. Pics will be coming shortly. The res still has a pink tint to it, since the previous owner used a red dye, which I was unable to clean out, and it sits at a little bit of an angle to keep the tubing off my GPU, but I still think it looks good.:thup:

Sorry about the sizing, I took this pic last night during leak testing with my BlackBerry, and since I am uploading from a phone, I don't have a chance to resize it. I will get some better pics when I get back to the rig and get it booted back up.:D

Edit: I don't know how noticeable it is in the pic, but that is a very sharp bend from the GPU back to the res, and the Primochill took it like a champ. Definitely some excellent tubing.:thup:

Attachments

• IMG00032-20100207-2257.jpg
    IMG00032-20100207-2257.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
you did quite well with the available space!
i put a cpu only loop in my buddys 900, and it doesnt look nearly that well spaced out, everything was so crowded, barely got the case to close afterwards.

Thanks guys.:thup: I am pleased with the results. The tubing is sticking out of the case a little bit, maybe 1/4" or so. It may take a little bit of a push to get the side panel back on. I'm going to put a zip tie around one area of the tubing before I do that, just to be sure it won't kink on me. It is a bit of a tight bend and looks like it may be on the verge of a kink.

Also, I just got a text from my wife, who just checked on it again for me. She said something is starting to get warm (the pump is the only part with power). So far it is at about 18 hours leak free. Should I have her shut it down and take one of the leads from the testing PSU and hook it up to the Rheobus and turn it back on? I would hate to see my pump overheat while I am away, and I won't be home for a couple hours most likely.:rain:

I just had a look at my pump spreadsheet... D5 max temps all brands range from 60`C upto 95`c so were talking fairly warm operation capabilities here :shrug:

The rig is sitting in my garage, on the workbench. This time of year, I'm surprised if the garage gets up to 60F (about 15C), so it can't be getting that warm. Atleast I wouldn't think so.:shrug: The label on the pump says max operating temp is 60C, and I don't think she would have gotten close enough to touch it at a temp like that.

I think with mine without airflow they maybe get to mid 30`s on the motor housing.

sure it will be fine :)

if the loop carnt even cool your pump passive then the whole water things a myth #Laughs#

So, before I start posting up these pics, I wanted to add my initial thoughts about the loop. The first thing I have to say is, WOW!! I dropped 10C at load on the CPU alone, and I haven't loaded the GPU yet, but this is amazing coming from air. For another thing, this is dead silent, especially compared to what I had before. I was running the fan on my 9800GT at 100%, along with a pair of high speed Yates on the TRU120A. Needless to say, it was loud before. My ears couldn't hardly take it anymore. Now that I have moved on to water, I am nothing but impressed.

On with the pics:
HPIM1735.jpg
HPIM1730.jpg
In this one, you can see how I had to mod the PCI slot covers to get my tubing inside the case. I took out the covers, and cut out the piece of metal between the slots and fished the tubing through:
HPIM1732.jpg
HPIM1730.jpg

Also, I am sure there will be some posts about the res being crooked. I actually had to tilt it like that to keep the tubing from pushing up on the GPU. I am very pleased with the results, but don't think I ever want to WC an Antec 900 again.:p

that res isnt crooked its fine calibration ;)

youve gone with some controversial pull system on the rads :clap:

how are the yates?

ive just started re-using six on a rad and compaired to my 2300rpm ac ryans... there making a fair bit of motor noise on the sunbeam controller.

im currently working out where to put my new rad and every fan in both boxes on controllers, super silent heavy clocked pc ;)

wow, that primochill seems to be some good stuff, might grab some the next time i grab some wc gear.

looks nice btw, how heavy is the case now?

The fans are actually pushing. I put them on the back side of the rad due to how close it was to the back of the case. I wanted to be sure there wasn't any kind of obstruction, and I thought if I pushed front to back instead of back to front, that the back of the case would interfere with the fans intake. It actually seems to be working very well for the time being. I am still thinking about looking for some open corner 38mm thick fans, which may work a little better for pushing front to back.

Back