• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ways to prevent downtime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marcusmiller360

Registered
Just wondering what everyone here did for system maintenance. Of course every now and then you purge the loop and refill, but what, in your opinion, is the best way to keep a loop as low-maintenance as possible?

i do a tear down every year and water change with a light inspection every 6 months.

I'm not up to it yet, but with only running distilled water and a iandh kill coil, a refill every 6 months, a tear down to clean out once a year should be all I need, just like they all say round here.

#HINT# Distilled water+biocide (PT-NUKE PHN or a silver kill coil) is the prefered coolant round these forums for good reason, low maintenance, less clogging and good performance

i do a tear down every year and water change with a light inspection every 6 months.

+1. It's really not as high maintenance as you might think. If you don't already tinker with your equipment, it's just heavily involved once a year and less so one other time. No big deal at all. :)

My setup has been going for a good while, and I probably won't touch it for a long time or until I upgrade my CPU... even then I probably won't change anything about my loop. Have a large res with a lot of coolant, and don't see any places that look like they'd leak. I guess I'll take the risk and remain lazy :p

Nice thing about a self contained external system is that you can remove it for maintenance and throw an air cooler on in it's place (with a secure backplate you don't need to mess with).
Run win update, defrag and a heavy AV scan on it while you clean your stuff.
That's a decent way to spend a rainy day.

how is it that watercooling systems like the corsair h50 need zero maintenance and lose no water? In about 1 month i lose about 4 inches of liquid from my T-line. it'd be nice to just make a closed loop so i'd never have to deal with it again.

I have a feeling the black tubing of the corsair unit helps. It's probably also totally sealed. Those two things together should make for minimal evaporation.

how is it that watercooling systems like the corsair h50 need zero maintenance and lose no water? In about 1 month i lose about 4 inches of liquid from my T-line. it'd be nice to just make a closed loop so i'd never have to deal with it again.

Wow, thats a lot. You got a teeny teeny leak that is evaporating from the flow of the fans. My res can sit for 3 months and go down less that 1/8".

4"? Yep, something ain't right.

My last WC rig (hand assembled) didn't suffer any drop in water level. My current one it's leaking from external reservoir via evaporation. I need to seal that one better then I should be fine.

The last one had Thermaltake pump and res combo + DD X-flow + Dtek Fuzion and I used hose and camps from local hardware store.

You could try with a papertowel around all your joints and hope that's enough to see any leaks
Anotther way to do it is to get some of that paperstuff they put in cellphones nowadays to check if they have got any waterdamage
I have no clue to where that paper would be possible to get a hold of by the way but i have seen it in action on a phone or two

For those that say they wish they had a closed loop, is your res/t-line open? One of the things I did when I watercooled before was take a cap off of a highlighter pen and stick it in there. You know the thick round ones that taper (although do they even make those anymore? Seems like everything is getting fancy). Make sure you don't stick it in all the way, you'll have a hell of a time getting it out. I think after 6 months or so of my loop running it lost 1/2". This also kept dust and other stuff out of my loop.

Back