• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PT Nuke/Silver strip actually needed with primochill tubing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

hey, i was just browsing around on the primochill website, and noticed this in the product description about the tubing
Our special Anti-Microbial formula helps keep your cooling loop pristine—which keeps flow rates up, reduces maintenance, and just flat out looks better.
do you think this is actually good enough to keep things from growing in your loop?

No, at least I wouldn't trust it on its own. Better safe than sorry. Reasonable redundance never hurt anybody.

No, at least I wouldn't trust it on its own. Better safe than sorry. Reasonable redundance never hurt anybody.

I have to agree with this. The reason I think Primochill has this on their site is because the tubing effectively blocks light, which can help combat the nasties growing in your loop. The problem is, most of the reservoirs on the market are clear acrylic, which will help algae growth. I have the Primochill LRT black in my loop, and still opted for True Silver barbs just to be on the safe side. I would still recommend something just to be absolutely sure.:thup:

Primochill LRT Black, 5 drops per liter of PT-Nuke PHN and a silver kill coil. This is a good sure fire way to keep a loop clean in my experience. Anything else and I've always had at least a little bit of growth in the loop.
This loop was assembled about a week after the Swiftech XT came out whenever that was, and although it is not exposed to direct sunlight, it is fully exposed to the ambient light in my living room. I did a drain the other day to put in a temperature sensor and decided to dismantle and have a look at everything. There was not one spec of the nasty stuff to be found anywhere. My reservoir(DDC ResTop) looked as sparkling clean as the day I bought it.
But deadly's got a point, it kind of defeats the purpose of buying opaque tubing if you aren't willing to cover the crystal clear acrylic reservoir. If they made a black pump top reservoir I would have bought one, but they don't so I didn't.

Back