• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ireland

Registered
Hello,

First of all, here are my specs:
RAM
Motherboard
Processor

What I would like to do is overclock the RAM to 1066. I know it's possible with this RAM and motherboard, I'm just not sure how to do it. I know how to get into the BIOS but I'm not able to change the FSB or anything like that... I wouldn't know what values to set even if I could. I have limited knowledge of overclocking so any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Since your RAM is rated at DDR2-1066MHz, you're just interested in running the RAM at spec., and not actually overclocking it. A Q8400 has a default 8x multiplier w/ a FSB of 333MHz = 2.66GHz clock. Set Ai Overclocking to Manual, FSB / CPU External Frequency Synchronization to FSB 1333 / 333MHz, then take the DRAM Frequency setting off AUTO and manually set it to 1067MHz. This equates to a 5:8 FSB : DRAM ratio, or a 333/1066 NB / MCH strap setting. Also take the Memory Voltage setting off AUTO, and manually set it to 2.1V. Change Configure DRAM Timing by SPD from Enabled to Disabled, and manually adjust the four primary timings (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) to 5-6-6-18.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you very much for the reply. I'm having issues still...

I'm not sure how to change these settings because they're grayed out. This is what it looks like under the Advanced CPU Settings tab:

Frequency: 2.66GHz
FSB Speed: 1333MHz
Cache L1: 128
Cache L2: 4096
Ratio Status: Unlocked (Min: 06, Max: 08)
Ratio Actual Value: 8

All of the above is gray and I can't change it. Below is a list of the rest of the settings. For some reason I am not able to change the Ratio CMOS Setting from Auto to Manual. It just won't let me modify it at all.

Ratio CMOS Setting: Auto
C1E Support: Enabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech: Enabled
Execute-Disable Bit Capability: Enabled
Intel Speedstep Tech: Enabled

Also, on the Power tab I don't know which voltage value I'm supposed to change. Told you I'm a complete noob at this :p

Under the Advanced menu--> JumperFree Configuration, you can't change Ai Overclocking from Auto to Manual? And there are no voltages to change under the Power menu, only settings for APIC, Suspend Mode, AHCI, etc. You need to manually change the Memory Voltage setting under Ai Overclocking to 2.1V.

Back