• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Crosshair III Formula + OCZ platinum problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I have 4 gigs of OCZ Platinum DDR3 Dual Channel 1600 ram (7-7-7-24)

But as you can see, it is running at a pathetic rate (or so I think...maybe I am j ust reading this wrong??)
captureeb.png

So, I went into my bios and selected the speed to be 1600 and 1333 (different times) and the readings wont change. So I tried entering extreme tweaker (ASUS OC Software in the Bios) and found myself lost in a world of too many things I dont understand, even though I have been reading the articles on how to OC.

Basically, I just want my ram to perform at the speeds I bought it for 1600mhz 7-7-7-24

PLEASE HELP! A step by step would be the most amazing thing int he world right now, hahaha.

I understand that you want to run the RAM at 7-7-7-24, but see if the BIOS will retain the DRAM frequency at 1600MHz (1:4 FSB : DRAM ratio = 1600MHz at a default FSB of 200MHz) by manually setting the timings to 8-8-8-24-2T and 1.90V DRAM voltage. Assuming this is your RAM...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_platinum_edition

... adjust these timings on the DRAM Timing/Driving Configuration menu:
Code:
tCL: 8
tRCD: 8
tRP: 8
tRAS: 24

... and the DRAM Voltage to 1.90V on the Extreme Tweaker menu.

Last edited:
Well that CPU-Z screen you have right there shows your RAM rated as 1333 MHz, (DRAM freq x2 so 668.9x2 = 1337.8)

A little bit of research shows that the Asus Crosshair III Formula isn't actually compatible with the 1600 MHz rated OCZ platinum, so it's defaulting it to 1333 MHz

http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.c...lass=6569&manufacturer_id=712&model_id=799698

I wouldn't consider myself a memory aficionado, so I'll leave to the experts to give you more advice... but from what I've read on it you may be limited to 1333 on that mobo.. :shrug:

He should have a 1600MHz DRAM Frequency option...

Hmm, fair enough.. Only reason I made the comment is that I've personally had significant problems running my OCZ ddr3 1600 Mhz at its rated speeds on my Asus p6t.. and that has support up to ddr3 2000 :-/

I understand that you want to run the RAM at 7-7-7-24, but see if the BIOS will retain the DRAM frequency at 1600MHz (1:4 FSB : DRAM ratio = 1600MHz at a default FSB of 200MHz) by manually setting the timings to 8-8-8-24-2T and 1.90V DRAM voltage. Assuming this is your RAM...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_12800_platinum_edition

... adjust these timings on the DRAM Timing/Driving Configuration menu:
Code:
tCL: 8
tRCD: 8
tRP: 8
tRAS: 24

... and the DRAM Voltage to 1.90V on the Extreme Tweaker menu.

I am going to try that next.

Well that CPU-Z screen you have right there shows your RAM rated as 1333 MHz, (DRAM freq x2 so 668.9x2 = 1337.8)

A little bit of research shows that the Asus Crosshair III Formula isn't actually compatible with the 1600 MHz rated OCZ platinum, so it's defaulting it to 1333 MHz

http://memoryselector.cnetchannel.c...lass=6569&manufacturer_id=712&model_id=799698

I wouldn't consider myself a memory aficionado, so I'll leave to the experts to give you more advice... but from what I've read on it you may be limited to 1333 on that mobo.. :shrug:

I had a feeling that I was reading the CPU-Z readings incorrectly haha. So it is working at the 1333 speed. Thank you!

As for the board, it supports up to 1600 OC... so I'll have to do some tweaking, and am going to trying the settings another person posted here.

What did you have the voltage set to previously, when the frequency was being reset to 1333MHz? Since the RAM is rated at 1.65V and 7-7-7-24, bump the voltage to 1.65V and tighten tRCD and tRP to 7 (8-7-7-24-2T). If the BIOS retains the frequency at 1600MHz w/ those timings, then run Memtest86+ to check for DRAM stability.

What did you have the voltage set to previously, when the frequency was being reset to 1333MHz? Since the RAM is rated at 1.65V and 7-7-7-24, bump the voltage to 1.65V and tighten tRCD and tRP to 7 (8-7-7-24-2T). If the BIOS retains the frequency at 1600MHz w/ those timings, then run Memtest86+ to check for DRAM stability.

Thanks again... Now I am just having trouble figuring out how to get memtest to work... no clue as to how to make a bootable disk, and all the walkthroughs online are worthless.

Actually...nvm... I just figured it out haha

I really appreciate all the help

Last edited:
Back