• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Same memory address has problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxbat Kannan

Registered
I was having computer problems

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634111

Anyway, I finally ran Memtest and I think I've found the problem as memory? Overclocking the CPU doesn't have much of an effect, nor does shutting off other stuff so I'm eliminating the PSU as the source of my errors.

Whether I run Memtest, Memtest+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic found on the Ultimate Boot CD, I get a lot of errors, a good majority of them in the same address of memory.

-When running DDR2 400 RAM underclocked or at stock settings with factory timings, it has tonsss of errors even on the first two tests.

-Underclocked to 200MHz with CAS 6-6-6 and looser, it goes through the first two or three tests and then starts having errors, a lot of them at the same physical address, and matching the physical address as the errors found by Windows Memory Diag.

It's Crucial RAM, so do I just have a bad stick? I'm thinking I'll:

1)Disable L1/L2 cache in BIOS and run
2)Pull out one stick out then the other and see if it's isolated to one stick.

Does this seem like a good plan? During one of the crashes something got corrupted and I can't even get the internet on that computer, it's stuck on that "acquiring network address" so a Windows reinstall is in order. Grrr :bang head

It's almost definitely bad RAM. Forget option 1 (even if it does work, you don't want to run without a cache), but do try option 2. Crucial should replace the stick or sticks for you.

Indeed use option2, and run memtest for each stick and that will let you know which stick is the bad one.
However if it is a dual channel kit, then you should just RMA the pair and be done with it...You already know at least one stick is bad and you can't be guaranteed dual channel compatibility by sending in one stick for replacement anyway.
Sometimes they run out of your memory, and give you something better.
I rma'd some Kingston 1050mhz ddr2, and they sent me 1150mhz mem as a replacement.

Back