• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Cause of fried Harddrive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RyE

Today I decided to do the mod to my powersupply where I take off the molex connectors, put split loom over them and then put everything back together (as seen at http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/cable_sleeving/index.shtml )

When I plugged everything back in and turned it on, the power worked for about 2 seconds, and then shut off. Finally, after much troubleshooting, I found that I had the 5v and 12v wires switched on some molex connectors. I corrected this and everything is working except the comp wont recognize the harddrive. The 4pin power connector on the back of the harddrive kind of smells burnt. Do you think the mixed 5v and 12v wires killed it? :(

Man, consider yourself VERY VERY lucky if you fried only your HDD!

I can't believe all the rest supported the 12V on the 5V line.
Definitively, if your wires smell burned, your HDD is fried.

Check the capacitors on the HDD PCB, you may even be luckier, and just have a few caps that blew up. The capacitors on the 5V are usually rated at 6.5V. If they are tantalum (they often are), the will not support more than 7V for very long, and will short out.

well, my hd and my other cdrom and burner are fried :(. So basicly all my drives...My floppy survived and i didnt mess with the atx thing so my mobo and stuff is fine. I realized what I had done when my cpu fan (which is wired on a on-on 12v/5v switch) was running at 12v in the 5v position. Time for new hardware....,:eh?:

Back