• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mcp350 mod...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infected_

Anyone has tried this mod on the most recent mcp350's? is it still working? the mod seems a bit old, that's why im asking...

Thanks,

infected_

AFAIK, if it has the blue impeller and the pcb looks like the one in the pic the mod should work. It worked on my Apogee Drive motor, which is a MCP350 mounted onto an Apogee cooling block.

do i have to take the water off the loop to apply the mod? or is it safe to open the top side of the mcp350?

If you're asking if you can can take the top off with your loop filled, absolutely not. You'll end up with one very wet system.

i would personally wire in a switch (simple on-off toggle) so you can change from either speed. have the slower speed for bleeding and the higher speed for everyday running.

I just put a plier over the tube. I squeeze the tube, watch for the bubbles, squeeze again when the time is right, big bubbles rise to the top of my res. You do a few bleeds/refiils you get the timing down pretty well. You can't hurt a WC pump by stopping the flow for a few seconds, it's not a gear pump, which would make the tubing explode. Seen it at work, pretty funny!! But I'm dealing with thick fluids and high pressures.

Even with low-flow on the pump you have to squeeze the tube sometimes. That relative burst into almost no flow jogs the bubbles loose. You don't have to do it as much or as often but you still have to do it sometimes - and only after you set the pump back to speed, it doesn't work very well on low ... ;)

iirc it's not a voltage increase but a wattage increase, basically running the motor at full speed rather than at the limited speed laing sells them at.

That's correct, it's a wattage increase from 10W to 18W. Unfortunately it does not look like the model with the photo linked in the OP. Since the PCB is different, I doubt it. Haven't ever tried myself though; hopefully someone comes along with more direct experience.

Like hokie said, the pcb looks different. So I doubt that you will be able to do any mod to it that will let it run in 18 watt mode like an MCP355.

EDIT: Here's a link to Martin's old pages, which shows a few other pics of the pcb that is moddable. Linkage

Like hokie said, the pcb looks different. So I doubt that you will be able to do any mod to it that will let it run in 18 watt mode like an MCP355.

EDIT: Here's a link to Martin's old pages, which shows a few other pics of the pcb that is moddable. Linkage

man, i looked for that link from martin for a solid 15 minutes...forgot it was under the drive...@op, what they said, doesn't seem like you can.

Back