• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to upgrade mem, start from scratch or?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ibay19

Registered
hi guys, i currently have 2gb (1gb x 2) of pc 6400 OCz Sli Ready memory. I need more as I just installed Windows 7 and I am programming some stuff in VBA Excel and my computer hangs often as Excel eats up all the memory while running a code.

Anyway, my curreny memory has 4-4-4-15 1T written on it. Do I get the memory with those exact numbers? I found the following:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267&Tpk=ddr2 800

Are those good? Should I get something else?? I don't understand the 4-4-4-15 thing...smaller numbers are better/worse?

My memory looks exactly like this, so should I maybe get this?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820227269

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! :)

I am looking to spent $100, including shipping. So if you know of a good deal and good/fast memory (4GB is what I am looking for), please give me a link. Thank you!

I would get a 2x2gb kit and use just it, 4gb should be plenty (sidenote: are you running a 64bit OS? If not you're limited to ~3.3gb of ram), and having two different sized sets of ram generally forces you to go to single channel mode instead of dual channel mode.

I am running a Win 7, 32bit. I do have a 64bit version, so I could always install that.

So you are saying, just get the 4gb and get rid of my 2gb right now? Which 4gb do you recommend then?

I only have experience with two different kits, G.skill Pi-black 800-4-4-4-12, and OCZ platinum LV 1066. Both are excellent, both are quite expensive.

Look for 800 in 4-4-4-12(15 is fine) or 1066 in 5-5-5-15 (5-5-5-18 is fine).
I prefer low voltage ram, 1.8 or 1.9v, but that's just me.

can I run the 1066? I have a Core2Duo E6750. And I have an EVGA motherboard, I think its the 780i

i think i will go with the first link you provided, the $99 kingston ones!

should i leave the 2gb i already have in my computer for a total of 6gb?

or should i take that out and just use the new 4gb memory?

my 2gb runs at 4-4-4-15 1T, these new ones would be at 4-4-4-12 ...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

It's usually not recommended to run two different brands of memory in an odd configuration. Most likely it will work, but you may be forced out of dual channel and into single channel like it was mentioned above. It will also force you to run 2T when all 4 banks are populated. I would use the 4gb kit, and pop the 2gb set in another computer if you have one that could use a RAM upgrade. :)

i think i will go with the first link you provided, the $99 kingston ones!

should i leave the 2gb i already have in my computer for a total of 6gb?

or should i take that out and just use the new 4gb memory?

my 2gb runs at 4-4-4-15 1T, these new ones would be at 4-4-4-12 ...

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

i agree with what Parad0x420 said:) just run the new ones it will be faster to be able to run in duel channel

More than likely, even with the 1066 RAM.. the board will default it to 800mhz. You'll have to manually set it to 1066 speeds, or set it to 800 and crank up the FSB to run it at it's OC'd speed. What you want is tighter timings at the same speed.

G.Skills with better timings and price <- I'd pick these. :)

I have a 2GB (2 x 1GB) G.Skill pack of similar sticks but they're 800mhz (PC2-6400) that I have OC'd to 1030mhz still on 5-5-5-15 timings. Great set of RAM.

Back