• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest/Best DDR2 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BradyT88

Registered
What do you think the fastest DDR2 memory is? I'm preferably looking for a 2x2GB kit that can do about 1060 or 1080 at cas 4. I've been told on another forum that my best bet would be G.Skill Trident or Super Pi.

My OCZ Gold was frying with my abuse... so I grabbed some OCZ Flex 9600DDR2 (1200Mhz) from Aquatuning. Cheaper for me from germany and available, would be nearly twice as much in the UK :-/

It works well but I think the others use less offensive voltage, 2.2 for the Flex

My Corsair Dominator RAM is rated up to 1066 at 5-5-5-15 with 2.1 volts. If I really wanted to take the time with them, I could very likely get them to run at 4-4-4 timings, but since I don't benchmark, so the performance gain would be negligible for my use.

I wish I was at a computer right now to look at these instead of being stuck on a military base, but i'm glad I got so many responses. Thanks.

I've been doing a lot of reading up on timings and I read that when accessing a row of memory, the CPU sends the message to the memory and memory will delay "tCL" clocks until returning the info and any other info needed on that same row is sent every clock without delay. I don't know exactly how data is organized on memory, but I would assume it is fairly sequential. So is it possible that having the faster clock will more than make up for the longer delay in the long run.

For example, DDR2 800 cas 4 has a clock of 2.5 ns (nano seconds), and a cas latency of 10 ns, while DDR2 1066 cas 6 has a clock of 1.875 ns and a cas latency of 11.25 ns.

The 800 is going to beat the 1066 at sending the first bit of data, but by the fourth bit of data (assuming all 4 are on the same row) the 1066 wins, 17.5 ns vs 16.875 ns. Well say you are opening a program or loading a level on a video game and it was reading 4 bits of data on each row from 100 rows. You would save 62.5 ns (not factoring tRCD and tRP).

Looking at this I would say a faster clock is always better (with the exception of really loose timings compared to tight timings) and if you are getting more than 4 bits of data per row this would be even more of an advantage.

Any thoughts on this?

Well all those numbers aside I'll tell you this, on my last system I couldn't notice any day to day usage difference between DDR2800 at 4-4-4-12 or 5-5-5-15 or DDR21000 at 5-5-5-15. Benchmarks would show the difference but in the real world I couldn't tell.

Well I am currently running DDR2 800 5-5-5-18 (at my current OC it is running at 720 5-3-3-9) and I am looking at getting some GSkill Pi or Trident at DDR2 1200 5-5-5-15. What I am trying to decide is whether to try to clock it at 1080 4-4-4-12 M) says it supports up to DDR2 1200, but in the memory options it has 400, 533, 667, 800, and 1066. I'm wondering if when I put in the DDR2 1200 if a 1200 option appears and if so it would be nice if a 933 option would appear as well. If I could set it for 933 I could run my memory at 1260 which I dont think would be too hard to achieve.

Either way it ends up, even at the bare minimum, I'm sure I would notice improvement going from 720 cas 5 to 1080 cas 5

Well, I went ahead and ordered the DDR2 1200 Trident. Hopefully it will be agreeable when I start OCing.

Back