• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4GB PC2 8500 AM2 + 2GB = NO BOOT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Ok, So I have an M4A78 PRO Asus MB, and I had 4GB installed, I recently grabbed another 2GB, of the exact same model ram, complete with the same heatsink, its unbranded, as are my other two.

When I put it in, my computer wont boot, but it boots fine with the 4GB, My MB supports 16GB, so I don't know what is going on?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? thanks in advance :)

EDIT: My MB supports AM3 but is currently runnin a 7850 BE which I believe is AM2+? and I heard that you can only have up to 4GB @1066 with AM2+, is this true? how do I set my ram to 800Mhz? I am a Complete noob, and a step by step would be a god send right now.

The AM2+ only supports 1 stick of DDR2-1066 per channel, hence the reason your current 2 x 2GB sticks POST without any issues. You can populate all four DIMM slots w/ 1066MHz RAM, but they need to be down-clocked to 800MHz. So with a default FSB of 200MHz, change the DRAM frequency from the current 1066MHz to 800MHz (1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio) prior to installing the 3rd stick.

Code:
AI Overclocking: {Manual}
DRAM Frequency Control: {Manual}
DRAM Frequency: {800}

Back