• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WOW. FML. Faulty RAM ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Its just my luck, I bought some 2GB unbranded 1066Mhz ram off ebay a few months ago, the exact same as I currently have installed, complete with heatsinks, and I went to install it today, and it didn't work.

I tried it on its own, fail.

I moved it around slots, and i got a white flashing cursor at the top left and nothing else.

I tried it in another slot and I get insert floppy? some random bios error and about a paragraph or white text on a black bg, with random characters flying around the screen? (characters as in letters/symbols, not mario on the back of yoshi). So seeing as its unbranded, and the guy on ebay.. well I doubt theres a chance in hell of him doing anything to help me.

Is there anyway to repair/RMA it? This is really annoying me...I don't want to have to buy another stick.

I have had no problems with anything I have bought off ebay, but the seller is out of question, and the ram appears to have no logos/id on it?

Why is contacting the seller out of the question? It sounds like you got crap. You might be able to identify the brand of the RAM from the codes on the RAM chips themselves.

The seller should have a rating on his account, and you have the option to add bad review to his profile if this is not taken care of. I would try to contact the seller thru ebay and report this. I do a lot of selling and buying off of there. Your rating is what makes people more interesting in you when buying from that person.

The seller should have a rating on his account, and you have the option to add bad review to his profile if this is not taken care of. I would try to contact the seller thru ebay and report this. I do a lot of selling and buying off of there. Your rating is what makes people more interesting in you when buying from that person.

Because I got this ram ages ago, in a bundle with my MB, I'm talking October. and I only recently put it in for some reason

i got a white flashing cursor at the top left and nothing else.

about a paragraph or white text on a black bg, with random characters flying around the screen? (characters as in letters/symbols, not mario on the back of yoshi).

Like a corrupted DOS in the old school times. Like my 286 with 640 KB of RAM, with MS-DOS 6. LOL.

I doubt just updating BIOS would fix it as it has detected other RAM. I'd try contacting the seller asking for a refund/replacement, if he doesn't reply or says no then open up a dispute on paypal claiming faulty product.

Also, out of curiousity, how much was the RAM, and why didn't you buy from a shop? :p

I doubt just updating BIOS would fix it as it has detected other RAM. I'd try contacting the seller asking for a refund/replacement, if he doesn't reply or says no then open up a dispute on paypal claiming faulty product.

Also, out of curiousity, how much was the RAM, and why didn't you buy from a shop? :p

It came in the bundle with my computer, and ddr2 prices are pathetic right now... I'd rather spend my money on a cheap holiday or even a graphics card.

REad the code that is on the chip, you might have to manually set speed, timings and voltage (it happens)

Honestly it probably is bad ram.

As for identifying the manufacturer based on what is written on the ram chips themselves... not likely unless its rebranded.

If not though you can google the code and find out what type of IC it is and from there find stable settings for it.

If it s bad (and it probably is) nothing you can do about it. Post some high res pics of the sticks maybe we can figure out who manufactured it but its doubtful.

REad the code that is on the chip, you might have to manually set speed, timings and voltage (it happens)

Honestly it probably is bad ram.

As for identifying the manufacturer based on what is written on the ram chips themselves... not likely unless its rebranded.

If not though you can google the code and find out what type of IC it is and from there find stable settings for it.

If it s bad (and it probably is) nothing you can do about it. Post some high res pics of the sticks maybe we can figure out who manufactured it but its doubtful.

I will post some pics for you guys tomorrow, is there like, no oven trick like there is for Mobo's and Gpu's? that worked on my laptop mobo.

Back