• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We've got problems. Need expert memory advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgb303

Okay so about 2 weeks ago I determined that one of my four memory sticks had gone bad. I RMA'd the memory, which I just got back today. Now heres the thing I'm still having problems.

I've tried every combination with the memory, and all the sticks are working perfectly by themselves, however, when I put the final stick in slot 4 (see picture) my system goes bananas.

with 2/4 sticks inserted I have a reported 4gb of memory

with 3/4 sticks inserted I have a reported 6gb of memory

with 4/4 sticks inserted I have a reported 4gb of memory

and what is even more peculiar is that if I have 3/4 memory sticks inserted, with the 3rd one being in the 4th slot I get a reported memory of 2gb.

There are some screenshots and images I have that might aid you guys with this detective work. I really am hoping this isn't a problem with my mobo, but who knows.

2010-02-19%2019.32.08.jpg
^This is with 3/4 sticks in, using the 4th slot.^

2010-02-19%2019.28.46.jpg
^This is with 3/4 sticks in, NOT using the 4th slot.^

2010-02-19%2019.30.29.jpg
^Fourth slot on the far left, next to heatsink.^

have you tried system monitoring to verify that what BIOS says is true in operating conditions? what does CPUZ say?

It doesn't even POST with sticks in slot 2 or 4 :-/

Which may have to do with how the memory channels are laid on the mobo, since 2 and 4 are the secondary slots.

Last edited:
Just to clarify... what you're referring to as the 4th slot is actually DIMM slot 2, is it not? Starting from the DIMM slot closest to the CPU, aren't the slots labeled DIMM 2, DIMM 1, DIMM 4, and DIMM 3?

I wonder if it could be cured with a BIOS update, as this seems not a memory problem but a mobo problem.

The mobo is having issues with the correct amount of memory, is it not?

I know, no help here, but just to isolate where the problem is.

I wonder if it could be cured with a BIOS update, as this seems not a memory problem but a mobo problem.

Upon reading the OP, I was thinking this or a bad RAM slot. I know I have been reading a little bit about newer boards having problems with the slots, but I am not sure if it is affecting one brand and not others.

Just to clarify... what you're referring to as the 4th slot is actually DIMM slot 2, is it not? Starting from the DIMM slot closest to the CPU, aren't the slots labeled DIMM 2, DIMM 1, DIMM 4, and DIMM 3?

Yes sir, the problem spot is actually DIMM 2 on the mobo.

mem2.png

It is indeed the mobo's issue as far as I can tell. The memory works fine individually as far as I can tell, it only in this select combination using the DIMM slot 2 that problems occur.

It terrifies me to flash my BIOS for some reason but I'll give it a shot.

Fill out this BIOS template for the EVGA P55 w/ all of your current settings, or give these settings a try for 3.6GHz / DDR3-1600 (the 1.68V DRAM voltage setting = 1.65V real, and adjust the Vcore accordingly)...

Code:
*Frequency/Voltage Control*
Dummy O.C : OFF
Target CPU Frequency : 3600
Target Memory Frequency : 1600
CPU Multiplier Setting : 18
CPU Frequency Setting : 200
PCIE Frequency Setting : 105
QPI Frequency Selection : 4.8
MCH Strap : Auto
Extreme Cooling : OFF 
EVGA VDroop Control : Without VDroop 
Current CPU Vcore : 1.18125
Bootup CPU Vcore : 1.18125 
Eventual CPU Vcore : 1.18125
Current Dimm Voltage : 1.68
DIMM Voltage : 1.68
Current VTT : 1.3 
Bootup CPU VTT : 1.3 
Eventual CPU VTT : 1.3
Current PCH Voltage : 1.1
PCH : 1.1
Current CPU PLL : 1.825
CPU PLL : 1.825
DIMM 1/2 DQ Vref : 0 
DIMM 3/4 DQ Vref : 0
DIMM 1/2 CA Vref :0
DIMM 3/4 CA Vref : 0
CPU PWM Frequency : lowest
VTT PWM Frequency : lowest
DDR PWM Frequency : lowest
CPU Signal 1 : AUTO
CPU Signal 3 : AUTO
CPU Signal 4 : AUTO
CPU PCIE 1 : AUTO
CPU PCIE 2 : AUTO
DDR Signal 1 : AUTO
DDR Signal 2 : AUTO
DDR Signal 3 : AUTO
DMI Signal : AUTO
PCH Signal : AUTO

*Memory Configure* 

DRAM SPD : XMP
Target Memory Frequency : 1600 
DRAM tCL : [ 9 ]
DRAM tRCD : [ 9 ]
DRAM tRP : [ 9 ]
DRAM tRAS : [ 24 ]
DRAM tRFC : [ 88 ]
DRAM tRRD : [ 5 ]
DRAM Tfaw : [ 15 ]
DRAM tRTP : [ 4 ]
DRAM tWR : [ 4 ]
DRAM tWTR : [ 4 ]
Command Rate : [ 1 ]
CHA Round Trip Latency : [ AUTO ]
CHB Round Trip Latency : [ AUTO ]

Fill out this BIOS template for the EVGA P55 w/ all of your current settings, or give these settings a try for 3.6GHz / DDR3-1600 (the 1.68V DRAM voltage setting = 1.65V real, and adjust the Vcore accordingly)...

Gave this a go, still suffering from the same problems. I had to roll back my BIOS though, I was having problems get to POST with the newest version using any OC at all.

It's so odd that Slot 2/DIMM 2 under SPD using CPU-Z it doesn't even recognize a memory stick in there..

s2.png

Last edited:
I checked things out on the CPU and socket, it appears to look fine but I'll prob give it another once over again just to be sure. I took some pics, they are not great, I'm working on getting my hands on a quality camera today. Here's what I've got.

DSC02970.JPG
DSC02971.JPG
DSC02973.JPG
DSC02974.JPG

Plus side, I knocked 2 degrees off my temps with a remount :)

Okay so I'm just about done attempting to troubleshoot this problem. I know the memory is good but from what I've gathered from other sources the difference in the two types of memory(DDR3-1600 & DDR3-2000) in combination may be causing the problem. I'm going to part out 2 of the sticks and grab another set of identical sticks.

Back