• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooled Build! Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Byond

Registered
So, I am building my new system and have decided that I want to use a water cooling system. I am in need of some advice and some help with parts i may be forgetting.

System:
MB- ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366
CPU- Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366
GPU- 2x SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB in Crossfire
PSU- CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER
Case- COOLER MASTER HAF 932

Water Cooling System (so far):
CPU- Watercool Heatkiller 3.0 cpu block or Koolance CPU-360
GPU- Koolance VID-AR587 5850/5870 gpu blocks
Radiator- Black Ice GTX 360 triple radiator (with 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm radiator fans)
Reservoir- XSPC single bay reservoir
Pump- Swiftech MCP-655 D5 Vario pump
Tubing- Koolance ID: 13mm(1/2") OD: 16mm(5/8")
Fittings and Nozzles- Dual VID Connector (Adjustable 1 Slot Spacing), 1x Nozzle Single (Swivel Angled Barb [For ID: 13mm(1/2")]), 7(?)x Nozzle Pair Barb [For ID: 13mm (1/2")]
Clamps- Any I guess...

Does this look good so far? Are a northbridge and southbridge cooler needed? What do I use to connect the 3 radiator fans to the psu? What is the best mixture for the H20? How/where do I use/put the Silver Killcoil?

Sorry if this is a lot :(
Just want to do it right the first time.

Also if you know of any good vids to watch to help me along the process that would be great!

1- Cooling NB-SB is not necessary they arent getting hot at all
2- Swiftech XT > Heatkiller 3.0
3- u should look at doing dual loop or adding a second rad. 2high end graphic card and an i7 (are u going to O.C him?)
3.1 - I7 920 O.C at 4GHZ will need a triple rad at least.
3.2 2x 5850 will need a triple rad to keep them at good temps
4.Silver Killcoil. U can buy silver barbs and Pt Nuke Will do the works.
Distilled water + ptnuke and silver barbs = Good Thing :)
Clamps : metal clamps are the best (worms clamps )

Haf 932 u can fit a triple rad on top. and a triple rad at exhaust fan with a rad box.

Pump. If u are doing 1loop this way --> Res - Pump - 1stRad-Cpu-2ndrad - GPU1-Gpu2-res
U might need a second Pumps -->res - pump1 - pump 2 - 1strad - cpu - 2ndRad - Gpu1 - Gpu 2 - Res

Can't Find the name but theirs a Bay res and u can put 2 355 Pump in there doing a dual loop. Can't find the name.

Dunno if I will OC to start with. The rig at stock should be enough to handle what I am after. Mostly what I want is best load temps and overall better noise/performance ratio.

With that said, will I still probably need to do a dual loop or double triple rad?

So that would be
Res- pump1 - cpu - rad1
Res- pump2 - gpu1 - gpu2 - rad2 ?

for a dual or a single loop?i guess this is a dual
Res - Pump - rad1 - cpu
res - pump - rad2 - gpu 1 - gpu 2
SInce the pump is producing some heat. the rad will keep water at ambient before its going into ur cpu / gpu not sure if its right but i think yes
Correct me if i am wrong :)

Without OCing and using dual loop would it be fine to go to smaller rads? maybe using two Swiftech MCR220? Trying to read up on what I need to mount one to the back, and if that would cover any connections I need back there.

I dont think it will cover any connection from the mobo.
It might be hard to put a second monitor on your graphic (dvi port) card but not imposible. 1 will be clear the second hided by the Rad but they will be 2inche between the rad and ur case because of the rad box.

Tryed to find picture of it. but cant find any +_+...

Hmmm yeah I am wanting to run dual monitors. How much higher would the temps be using a single loop with a triple rad with 3 1850rpm 120mm fans, since I am not overclocking at all?

You might want to double check the reputation on Koolance parts. I haven't heard many good things about their watercooling products. But, I may be wrong.

You might want to double check the reputation on Koolance parts. I haven't heard many good things about their watercooling products. But, I may be wrong.

there new stuff doesn't use aluminum, and i believe they stopped using steel plugs in blocks so i believe everything is going good for them.

Right now looking between the EK 5850 waterblock, MCW60-R2 with the full coverage heatsink, and the swiftech komodo.

Help! We see these once a week, help me get a "Best Buy expreriance". Not happening.

Gosh darnit x2. It's a hobby. Not a buy it like a DVR Blue ray player. You need to learn.

Umm haven't posted here in this thread. You're all worried about watercooling, it's not like it will affect my system, why fraek out on such a UBER TITLE. We at ocf ARE PAST SUCH POST titlies. Not sure but is your basic rig fine? Why hurry and freak out?

Post your specs and we'll help. We'll help you.

The darn thing you possess is running fine but it wants better cooling. Slow down, get what you need, and not order $300 of stuff and realize your missing $15 of parts at $15 shipping costs.

It's just a home PC, take it easy.

The big I want it NOW USA push is over, use some brain dude!

Hopefully you have read at least one of the stickies I made as ve many others.. Taking it slow and informed is key.

Dig deep, no rush. Buying the wrong stuff or having a leak will cost you lots more than a simple WC rig.

Many have helped with input, but do you know any more since your first post?

Last edited:
I'm truly sorry from the bottom of my heart that you took my title to mean I am freaking out or that this is anyway a life or death/rush job for me. (if a mod could change it to "First watercooled build, would appreciate some advice" so Con can get some sleep without worrying about me)

I mean it would suck to even have the thought that someone was freaking out over a computer as if it was life or death.

My rig isn't running fine considering it isn't running at all due to the fact that the pieces are not at my place yet =X Thought that was clear with "I am building"

I am trying to do something I have never done, neither have any of my friends, got directed here by some saying this was a friendly place that knows their stuff.

I am in no rush here. I want to do this stuff and one of my main things I asked was info on pieces I may be missing such as connectors and such.

I have learned a lot.
Grosjambon has been a massive help, and if he didn't provide an answer to what I had asked he provided enough info to find something to read up on. Such as: Using silver barbs instead of a silver killcoil, that making my own coolant is simple and MUCH cheaper, that using alum and copper can end very badly through corrosion, that my best bet will be 2 pump 2 rad setup whether dual loop or single loop (Res-Pump-Rad-GPU-GPU-Pump-Rad CPU-Res). Also I learned how sad some ppls views are when it comes to the USA attitude and how quickly they use it as an insult for ppl.

I am came into this with ZERO knowledge of watercooling. The fact that I didnt drop the entire comp into a tank of water is a huge jump (<--joke, in case you couldn't tell). I asking for ppls recommendation on parts due to the fact that they probably have personal experience where as I have 0.

Yours and Blazing Fire's post on steps to take when assembling a wc system will help me to no end when the time comes. And for that alone I thank you.

Good, I undertstand a first post 'issue'. No worries. I hope I got across that getting your facts right and doing it right the first time matters a whole bunch.

Ultimately, it's up to you to order and build your system. Seen more than one rushed setup and want it right for you.

Consider my heartfelt input as help on your journey.

BTW, good reply.

Back