• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB of RAM - Should I try to OC CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drifter_

Hello all. I have read the entire forum thread on OCing the Q8200 and I have a great base for getting my Q8200 OC'd. I just replaced my ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo with the GB board listed in my signature. I had two of the ASUS boards and neither one would run 800MHz RAM at 800MHz, only 667MHz. Lots of troubleshooting with ASUS. So I went with GB. I should have that board in day or two, but I need some expert advice on my setup before attempting to OC.

Should I try to OC the CPU if I am running 8GB of RAM? Is is too much strain for my system? I am not trying to get crazy with the OC, just a bump to 2.8GHz. The manufacturer settings for the RAM are [email protected] and is DDR2 PC6400.

Thanks.

:welcome: to OCForums.
I don't see why not. You may not clock as high, but I don't seem to have a difference between using 4 or 8 GB of ram.

Thanks. I get the new board today. I will hopefully have some success to report later tonight after assembly.

Good news. The Gigabyte board is rocking and I have had no stability issues overclocking with all 4 DIMMS populated (8GB).

The board auto set timings on my RAM to [email protected], which was solid. Tightened timings to manufacturer's spec of [email protected] and no problems with no overclock. P95 ran strong for 2 hours. Overclocked the CPU to 2.8GHz with no problems at all and keeping the tighter RAM timings. Since my FSB went to 400MHz, the FSB to DRAM ratio is now 1:1 because I didn't try to overclock the RAM (kept at 800MHz). P95 ran strong for another 2 hours, 3 hours of gaming, web surfing, and watching the Olympics without an problems.

Greater OC details here ----> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586754

Back