• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimizing the H50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sparren

I'm running an H50 unit with an intake fan for the radiator at the rear, an exhaust fan at the top, and two more intake fans at the lower front. The case is the Antec P183.

Right now I'm hitting 40 degrees C at Idle in San Diego where current daytime temps are around 15c (60f). I'm worried about how high that might get once outside temps start reaching 90f.

Any ideas as to how i can bring this down? I didnt apply any thermal paste because corsair says the H50 has some already applied to the unit. Is this what i'm missing?

sounds like you only have one fan running on the unit, the best option would be to buy 2 new high speed fans for it and run them in push pull (one on either side of the rad)

but what cpu are you running as dark said.

weird, i added that info into my sig, but it didn't show up.

im running:
i7 920 @3.6ghz
EX58-UD5
Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600
ATI Radeon 4890
Corsair H50
Antec P183 Case
2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450 (Lower Intake, Top Exhaust), 1x Tricool (Lower Intake), 1x Corsair H50 supplied fan (Top Rear Intake, connected to H50 radiator)
Mac OSX 10.6.2

that push pull thing sounds like a good idea. are you currently doing that? what kind of screws did you use? the stock screws arent long enough to hold two fans.

that push pull thing sounds like a good idea. are you currently doing that? what kind of screws did you use? the stock screws arent long enough to hold two fans.

You'll have to find some at Lowes or Home Depot. You do not want screws long enough that they go through the radiator, but through the fans and catch the metal on the radiator.

sounds like you only have one fan running on the unit, the best option would be to buy 2 new high speed fans for it and run them in push pull (one on either side of the rad)

He needs to make sure the one pushing air in has the frame against the radiator and the one pulling air out the frame is away from the radiator(I only say this because for some people it's hard to know unless they plug it in and feel the airflow.

Just stopped by the hardware store and picked up the screws.

Four 6-32x 1-¼ inch screws are needed.

I'll give this a shot tonight. Someone should write a guide on H50 optimization! This issue will be brought up a lot, and it looks like it has been already.

yes i only run push pull on my rads, 18 fans and counting.

img0313adr.jpg

img0314.jpg

the screws are only meant to hold one fan. you need 4 more (as you already bought) for the other side of the rad.

Just stopped by the hardware store and picked up the screws.

Four 6-32x 1-¼ inch screws are needed.

those happen to be the exact screws i use for my mcr320's when i have 1 25mm thick fan and a standard wire fan grill.

be careful so as not to screw them to deep or you will puncture the rad.

More... MORE!!!

My H50 with push/pull works so much better than single fan. Also be sure that it is pulling air from outside the case, not using the warm air from inside.

Ideally. My situtation is the Pull/Rad/Push out the exhaust vent. I think it is okay in my case because I have a crap load of intake fan, including one just above the fans/rad that is blowing directly onto them. Gotta find what works in your case.

More... MORE!!!

My H50 with push/pull works so much better than single fan. Also be sure that it is pulling air from outside the case, not using the warm air from inside.

lol, working on it. right now insurance is sucking all extra funds and then some.
would like to change from a 120.9 (or 3x3) setup to a 120.16 (or 4x4) setup with 32 fans :)

lol, working on it. right now insurance is sucking all extra funds and then some.
would like to change from a 120.9 (or 3x3) setup to a 120.16 (or 4x4) setup with 32 fans :)
LOL! You know, at some point a copper car rad and a couple of 12" variable speed fans would work as well or better. Of course, you'd have to build your own shroud ... ;)

okay, i just installed the push/pull system, and tightened the unit to the processor a little bit and im seeing some nice drops in temperature.

why is it bad to seat the unit too tight to the processor? im worried about tightening it too much.

Good morning. Glad you improved temps. You would be fine tightening it down. The bracket won't allow you to make it too tight. As long as you don't strip the screws, you're golden.

Most of your questions have been answered, but if you want some more reference material, there is a review of the unit right here on the Overclockers homepage. :)

I will be getting an Asetek LCLC soon which is allegedly an OEM for the Corsair Unit. I will find out when I get it. I would like to test it with the stock Intel clips mount, a hard spring mount with a Xigmatek kit. Also test fan set ups with the stock Fan, low speed push/pull, and high speed push/pull.

Hopefully I get it done sometime in the future :eek:

I will be getting an Asetek LCLC soon which is allegedly an OEM for the Corsair Unit. I will find out when I get it. I would like to test it with the stock Intel clips mount, a hard spring mount with a Xigmatek kit. Also test fan set ups with the stock Fan, low speed push/pull, and high speed push/pull.

Hopefully I get it done sometime in the future :eek:

asetek makes the h50 for corsair but to corsair's specs, what that exactly means or how much it differs i don't know.

Back