• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First water cooling setup help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

New_to_WC

Registered
Hi OC Forum
I am new to Your forum but heard good things about u all.
So joined up to get some advice. If that's OK. :)
I going to spend 500 or more on my set up and don't wont it to fail.
been reading about setting up my first water cooling rig for the last 6 mouths. anyways ill jump into what i am hear for .
I am starting to buying my part over the next few weeks & have all ready ordered these 2 parts.
#1 Alphacool Reservoir Repack Cooling Slot-In 5.25" slot.
#2 Alphacool NexXxos Pro II Water Cooling Radiator 8 bar.

But i wont advice on my other parts more so.
First ill tell u what i am cooling in my pc.
so all i wont to cool is my Q9400 & my GTX285.
So i wont to run one loop for my CPU & GPU with two radiators
(1x120mm 2x120mm).
Like i wont it going from the reservoir,Pump,CPU block,1x120mm Rad,
GPU Block ,2x120mm Rad, Home.
So my question is would i need a dual pump for this or is one jump significant?
Like the jump i am looking at is Alphacool Laing D5 Water Cooling Pump Max Flow Rate 1500L/h.
So would this jump be OK ?
Also if u think i need to change my set up any advice would be appreciated.
Also the other parts i am ordering to complete this is Swiftech Apogee™ XT,
Swiftech Full Cover Heatsink GTX285, Swiftech MCW60-R Rev2 VGA Water Block ,Black Ice GTX 1x120 Gen Two Extreme Radiator.
I am going to run this on 3/8 tubing.
Also i going two rads coz i wont to upgrade to a i7 & two GTX285's maybe :) soon so preparing for it in advance.Coz they run real hot i been reading.
Sorry its so long but i just wont to get this right so it :rock:. any question feel free to ask. Hope u can all understand what i am trying to explain.
Thanks in advance :)..

Just to clarify some words in your text.
I guess when u say I wont u mean I want because I wont mean I will not...
Thanks.

From what I see. U will not have enough rad to cool these thing. (if u want to upgrade to i7 / 2gtx 285)
1)Are you Going to O.C?<
2) at least a triple and a double rad would be enough to cool (a i7/2gtx285 O.C)

Good morning, welcome to OCF! I'll just go in order of your questions with my opinions. :)
  • One pump would be fine. Either a Laing D5 or DDC3.2 with an aftermarket top will run the loop you propose. Two pumps wouldn't hurt, such as two DDCs with an XSPC dual top, but it's not really necessary.
  • The Apogee XT is an excellent choice of block. It's one of the more restrictive blocks (but is quite resilient to reduced flow), so I'd recommend the DDC 3.2 with a good top. You could kill two birds with one stone and get the XSPC reservoir top. It improves performance and gives you a built-in res.
  • The MCW-60R2 is a great GPU block. That setup will do you well. Just make sure you have adequate air flow for that HS on the rest of your card.
  • If you go with the D5 stock, you cannot run 3/8" tubing, the stock top comes with 1/2" barbs attached.
  • Re: Radiators - Unfortunately, I think you're underestimating the heat load you're going to have. A 120.2 and 120.1 are not going to be sufficient for an i7 with two (or really even one) GTX285s. I'd have at least 120.4 total, if not 120.5 total. Let's start with this - what case are you putting all of this in?
  • I'm not familiar with Alphacool rads, but it looks like they're straight from the Black Ice Extreme series. Both those and the GTX you're contemplating have high FPI, which means you're going to need strong fans to make them do their job well. If silence is your goal, other rads may be a better choice. Which are you going for - silence or performance...or in between the two?
  • If you haven't seen it already, feel free to have a look through this water cooling guide for beginners. You seem to have done pretty good research already, but a little extra never hurts!

Sorry Grosjambon i meant to say want not wont my bad. :)

Hi hokiealumnus i read the beginners guide to water cooling a wile ago but ill read it again today just to brush up :).
anyways wow i really under estimated the heat coming from the i7.
When i upgrade to that ill buy a new rad. like a 4x120mm.

Anyways ill just stick to asking about what i am going to cool atm my current set up.
So just my Q9400 & my GTX285. at this point in time.
My case is a Thermaltake armor mx. silent is my goal not real big into OC.

Glad my block are a good choice. Except i wanted to eliminate fan noise coz im over the buuzzzz next to me.
Is there a good full cover block for the GTX285 ? . i got a series 1 card.

Also doe it matter about mounting the rad outside of the case with a mounting kit ? coz i was going to go this way.
maybe put the 2x rad at the bottom of my case but if that don't fit im going to mount it on the back and the 1x rad in the 5.25 bay.

Also i ask already about what barb size is on this pump and i got told from the guy who i am buying it off that its 3/8" barbs.
I can change to the DCC thow.

What doe's FPI stand for ?

Thanks for help so far been very helpful :)
u guys :rock: .

Was think two x2 120mm rads.
Black Ice GTX 360 Gen Two Extreme Radiator for my second one.
Would this be a better option ?

Doe the flow rate not get cut down much from going through rad ?

Was think two x2 120mm rads.
Black Ice GTX 360 Gen Two Extreme Radiator for my second one.
Would this be a better option ?

Doe the flow rate not get cut down much from going through rad ?

since your after silence, don't get those rads, they have a high FPI (stands for fins per inch) you'll want something with a low fpi like the XSPC RX series rads, or black ice SR-1 series rads. or even thermochill.

Quad 120mm
XSPC RX480- good for low speed fans
Black Ice SR1 480- good for low speed fans

Double 120mm
Thermochill PA 120.2 - good for low speed fans
XSPC RX240- good for low speed fans
Black Ice SR1 240- good for low speed fans

kk Np thanks Spawn inc
Was thinking going two Alphacool NexXxos Pro II Water Cooling Radiator 8 bar ?.
Can get them cheap and read that they are a good rad.
ill read more thow and might go with the thermochill PA 120.2.
Thanks for the options spawn inc.

Also i am going to get the D5 over the DDC3.2 because the guide recommends that it better for multiple block's and rad'. also the DCC3.2 is loud i read.
Will go 1/2 tube if i have to. not fussed.
Also can get it in Australia.
just wont to accomplish a nice a quite pc.

So what is a good choice for full cover block ?
GTX285-ver1.

kk Np thanks Spawn inc
Was thinking going two Alphacool NexXxos Pro II Water Cooling Radiator 8 bar ?.
Can get them cheap and read that they are a good rad.
ill read more thow and might go with the thermochill PA 120.2.
Thanks for the options spawn inc.

Also i am going to get the D5 over the DDC3.2 because the guide recommends that it better for multiple block's and rad'. also the DCC3.2 is loud i read.
Will go 1/2 tube if i have to. not fussed.
Also can get it in Australia.
just wont to accomplish a nice a quite pc.

So what is a good choice for full cover block ?
GTX285-ver1.

Any links to tests for the rad? We just don't know it much in the USA so any english links or google translate would help. And what the specs are? FPI etc? Might be a great option for you.

Full cover block doesn't matter a lot. Any of the EK, XSPC, Swiftech, Danger Den and maybe another brand can fit your card. Look around. Find a good price. Performance differences between them is small. Your going to have MUCH better GPU and component temps with a FC block, and with the right rad setup, much quieter.

The difference on pump noise is what an picky 18 year old and a whining 13 year old sister would have to deal with. One who also mounts the pump onto the case frame directly. You always mount a pump with some vibration absorbtion stuff. I used some velcor for mount and vibration. I can say I could hear my D5 (MCP655) on high. I don't hear my DDC 3.2 aka MCP 355, and I have TWO of them in my rig.. Of course the difference is so small it's even silly to worry about.

Either pump will be fine, they both rock. The DDC3.2 with an aftermarket top performs better, ask if you want to decipher scientific test charts. It is also smaller and looks a lot better.

BTW, they are made by the same company, Laing.

The noise level overall is MUCH less than an air rig would be, I can say that with 1,0000,0000,00 % accuracy. Ohh forgot, 000,000

Alphacool 14127 NexXxos Xtreme Pro I Rev.2 Water Cooler
The NexXxoS Xtreme l, Rev 2 delivers not only performance, but is also an eyecatcher due to the perfect engineering.

Its design, with the parallel channels gives the least amount of resistance of waterflow.

The NexXxoS Xtreme Radiators are among the best in their class for heat exchangers, they have the posssibility to fix fans on both sides, and are able to be fitted in almost all cases.
Technical Data:

- Dimensions L x B x H: 160 x 132 x 48mm
- Weight: approx. 0,630 kg
- Connections: 2x G1/4" inch
- Distinctive Features: Pressure tested up to 8 bar
Price Range: $77 - $78 at 1 store

Thanks Conumdrum :)
that's good to know.
I might go with the DDC3.2 after all.
Where is the cheapest place to buy the DDC3.2 from that will ship internationally ?
Can't find it hear in Aus.
Will it be cheaper then the D5 at a wooping $220 AUS +12postage.
Also got the info off google ;) . about the rad.
Ill look into the GPU blocks over the next week before i buy one. thanks for advice guys.

*Going to go with a DD-GTX285 full cover block.
The DD-GTX285 is designed to provide maximum cooling for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 Video Cards
Compatible with Reference Design GTX285 (BFG, EVGA, XFX, PNY, etc).
Fitting is threaded directly into the copper and also Lucite top.
Uses the Additional RAM Pad mounting point for maximum mounting contact
Contact pads with the PCB to avoid warping or bending of the video card.
Cools all heat generating points on the card - GPU, RAM, Voltage Regulators, I/O Chip

Yep, decent, standard stuff they say. Good block, should be fine. Your sure it will fit your card? PCB and version numbers for your match up?

What happened to the next week? You sure? Look at Danger Dens Web page to be sure it fits, couple diff versions I think. He has info in his store links and in his forums. You get a wrong fitting bock, it no workie. Can fry the card.

BTW, I'm Conumdrum on that forum too.

Last edited:
Yea i checked all that Conumdrum thanks for advice ill double check with danger den to be safe.
Better to be safe then sorry i guess.
My card ver is Gigabyte Ver1 i am 99% sure but ill check the code and send it to danger den to verify.
Thanks.

Hi again
How do i check to find out what version my card is?.
Do i check by the serial number , or the part number?.
i sent them both will that tell them?.
ASUS ENGTX285/HTDP/1GD3/A. and the part and serial number i sent.
Thanks.

Hi everyone
thanks for all your help .
hear an update on the parts i order.
just waiting for them to all get hear :).

Attachments

• (d5)mcp655 pump.jpg
    (d5)mcp655 pump.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 45degree swivelling fitting adapter with random fitting.jpg
    45degree swivelling fitting adapter with random fitting.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Apogee-XT-x800.jpg
    Apogee-XT-x800.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 347
  • high flow quick connects-female.jpg
    high flow quick connects-female.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 343
  • white pro lrt shown with uv red plastic fitting heat ends first and it shrinks on to fitting whe.jpg
    white pro lrt shown with uv red plastic fitting heat ends first and it shrinks on to fitting whe.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 350
some more stuff.
fan ect i didn't ad pics.
Also getting a koolance TSM-200 to control fans ect.

Also i am just going CPU water cooling for now.

Attachments

• your res  i assume from your description swee,g.25inch threaded holes i hope fill port is the sa.jpg
    your res i assume from your description swee,g.25inch threaded holes i hope fill port is the sa.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 360
  • mcr220-QP.jpg
    mcr220-QP.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 364
  • qc4.jpg
    qc4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 6a02c7f8426d175c84d51a326b4460b3_image_100x71.jpg
    6a02c7f8426d175c84d51a326b4460b3_image_100x71.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 337
  • tms-200_p0.jpg
    tms-200_p0.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Got a new update of the layout of my setup.
also added a pic of the flow meter ill be using.

Got a m8 that has been into WC for years and really knows his stuff.
he done all the layout for me & gave me some great idea as to how to make life a little easier for long run.

as to why im using the QDC (quick dis connects) (see diagram.)
Make changing parts over easier and also draining the system will be much easier & for the time when i got to pull it right down for maintenance with the QDC be much easier.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 340
  • koolance_cat_4_large_img1_2.jpg
    koolance_cat_4_large_img1_2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 336
Back