• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC setup..(you guys this one a lot)-Want to mount the rad on outside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobehud

Registered
Im looking only to do just the CPU -its AMD 3 i have a dble bay with nothing in it except a fan in the front .I have an Antec 900 case i want mount the Rad on the outside of the case with custom made stand offs yep i can make those and one extra loop when coming out of the rad i have a PS Pump coolant i guess you would call loop rad.
It is just a single loop with lots of fins im in automotive its very effective has to be fords with aerate the fluid if its to hot-i will build a 7 -n long open at the top with a pet-**** train at the bottom and would fill it with water--and or ice water to enhance the temp drop coming out and going back to the CPU block.

As i said i am new and do AC work for cars and and understand the basics i want to make im not doing anything im going to regret. Any advice from a water cooling scholar would be great.

Thanks

It is OC and Game playing,watch movies have a pair of 24in Gateways..good deal off of Craigslist.
And yes only the CPU.

I'm sorry, I understood only snippets of that. To try and clarify, you...
  • are using an Antec 900 case.
  • are going to use an externally mounted, automotive radiator.
  • want a CPU-only loop cooling an AM3 CPU (which one?).
  • want to do something with ice water. If you mean draw it up into your loop, forget it. You don't want dirty tap water going into your loop. Make the leads to the rad long enough so that you can place it in a cooler of ice water. It'll keep your fluid clean and accomplish the same goal.
That's about all I've got. Like Grosjambon said, please supply your full specs and what you're trying to accomplish with the loop (silence, performance or a mix of both). Also, here's a water cooling guide for beginners to go through when you have a few minutes. Cheers!

Sorry guys..im home because a Kenworth dumptruck ran over my Civic..with me in it.
I have a Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H with a 955 c3
I have 4 gigs of ram Corsair premium at 2.0v 5-5-5-12 DDR2
x19.5
Nb 1.2
Nbu Cpu 1.375

I am in An Antec 900 case and i have one triple bay with nothing in it because when i put this together water cooling was in my mind wanted a place for pump.

Now i want to mount whatever Radiator i use to be mounted on the side panel off the case which just slides off.It would be mounted with a stand off to allow air flow.
The part i was asking about is NO i do not want to use water other than what i buy to use in the WS.After the coolant leaves the Rad. for its return back into the case also mounted on that side panel would be a Ford Power Steering cooler which just about a 6in loop with alot of fines to cool the PS fluid.I will have built,lets say a pcv tube and mounting brackets for the loop cooler from Ford.
I want to run the coolant from the primary Rad. into the in side off the cooler..only 1/2 inch-pass thru the cooler which immersed in ice water to further drop the temp of the coolant returning to the CPU block...i would use dense foam hvac covering on the exit line all the way back to the inlet of the CPU block.

was trying to get opinions from those who have been there done that and advice or pitfalls.

Ack dude, hope your okay, hope the pills helps the pain and stress, coulda been worse I guess.

And your getting all crazy with your ideas. Way to complicated and issues for a first time watercooler. How long do you expect the ice to last? Hint, your icemaker won't be able to keep up with it.................

You get any condensation due to low water temps and high humidity, then you have to insulate the whole area of the mobo, top and bottom with special stuff.

Might want to read a LOT more on sub ambient cooling first. You might need to read up here for a start. Look into insulating the mobo for water droplets off hoses and the CPU block.

http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490

Besides the excellent point Conumdrum has made about condensation from using ice (and the problem with refilling the ice bucket!), you also have a design problem. If you're going to use ice to cool your loop you shouldn't use the car rad at all. The ambient air will be warmer than the water in your loop so the car rad will just heat up the water.

If you want to be able to run your loop without ice you could add a couple of ball valves so you can run only the side you want to run, either the car rad or the iced PS loop, but you don't want to use both at the same time ...

Last edited:
Yes it would work i know it would.That was my goal was when i was pushing the system say for benchmark OC.That device was designed to give me very very cold water to the block.I have already played with the salt-ice-water ratio.I can get the water it would flow thru down to 26F-oh it was not another Rad. but a simple 6 in long loop with lots a fins-its something Ford use inline in their Power steering system,otherwise the fluid gets to hot and aerates makes a wonderful groaning noise when the steering is turned.
But condensation is something obvious i had overlooked i cant have 35 degree water going into the block i will get condensation.Oh well it was a good idea in theory that's was why i asked here first.

Thank you guys.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the PS cooler. My Intrepid has a similar one mounted under the radiator on the driver's side of the front cross-rail - sits right next to the secondary tranny cooler. :)

I guess I misunderstood your post - it sounded like you were also going to use a car radiator in the loop ...

Back