• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can my ocz gold ddr2 800 limit my overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PR

Registered
Is it possible that my OCZ ddr2 800 is at limit and that's why i cant overclock my pc more than 3.6ghz? when i increased my fsb 1668 my memory speed went automatically to 1014 mhz. i tried to raise the fsb more but got instability. do you guys think my ram is the limit here?

sorry for being a noob but i had a slow computer for a while and now i have this and im afraid that it will go up in smoke if i screw something up in the bios. its running stable at these settings.
anyway here are some cpu z screenshots that may help.
bus speed is 422
rated fsb 1688
multiplier 8.5
cpu speed 3587
cpu voltage 1.280
dram frequency 506 mhz
fsb:dram 5:6
CAS# Latency 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge 5 clocks
Cycle time 15 clocks
row refresh cycle time 42 clocks
command rate 2T

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 842
  • ram.jpg
    ram.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 843
Last edited:
He's running a 5:6 ratio, Headstand.

The Asus BIOS will have a DRAM Frequency, which will show up as DDR2-1012 (going off of the CPUz SS). You should be able to change that to DDR2-844 for a 1:1 ratio, PR.

BTW, your RAM overclocks pretty good since you can get to DDR2-1000+ from DDR2-800.

sorry for being slow i copied some info from the cpu z and edited the post with the screenshots. and ya i was pleasantly surprised that my ocz can go to 1014 too :)

dram frequency 506 mhz
fsb:dram 5:6
Which of these can you change? See if you can either change the DRAM Frequency from 506 MHz to 422 MHz, or the FSB: DRAM from 5:6 to 1:1.

Which of these can you change? See if you can either change the DRAM Frequency from 506 MHz to 422 MHz, or the FSB: DRAM from 5:6 to 1:1.

ok i was able to lower the ram to 422 which also makes the fsb:dram 1:1
so what can i change now to make it faster than i had it? it was working stable with ram at 1014.

Now you've created headroom to increase your Q9550 higher without wondering if the RAM is holding you back. It will be interesting to see how much more speed you can get from the CPU. :)

Now you've created headroom to increase your Q9550 higher without wondering if the RAM is holding you back. It will be interesting to see how much more speed you can get from the CPU. :)
ya that makes sensei will see if i can get the fsb to 1700

well i tried to get higher than i had but it didnt work. with fsb:dram ratio running at 1:1 the highest i got was 425 vs 422 before with fsb:dram ratio of 5:6 and memory at 506 (1014 in ddr) so i think 422 fsb with 1014 mhz memory is better than fsb 425 and 850 memory.

Lower your multiplier then try to increase the fsb. You know what the RAM can do, now see what he fsb can do, then go CPU. Also, are you changing any voltages?

You should be able to get past 3.6, and we know its not your RAM holding you back, you have already proved that. What is your Vcore set to? Also there are such things as FSB holes. Sometimes you might try going 1 or 2 FSB higher and see if that helps. By lowering the multiplier, you change the FSB to get the same speed, which will sometimes prove that you are stuck in a FSB hole.

You should be able to get past 3.6, and we know its not your RAM holding you back, you have already proved that. What is your Vcore set to? Also there are such things as FSB holes. Sometimes you might try going 1 or 2 FSB higher and see if that helps. By lowering the multiplier, you change the FSB to get the same speed, which will sometimes prove that you are stuck in a FSB hole.
sorry about the images earlier in this thread as they have disappeared somehow but now i fixed them by adding them to the attachments in the post ans then used that link to show the image. i guess external image links are not welcome here? my voltage is whatever the motherboard gives it but im afraid of messing with that. i have the low power version of this cpu 65w tdp and thats the reason i actually got it so it runs less hot. but the current voltage at 3.6 is 1.280. also i will try to lower the multiplier soon when i get more time as doing the overclocking is time consuming because each time the settings are wrong i have to power on and off about 5 times to get the board to come up at defaults. i really should install a cmos reset switch to help me with that.

Back