• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Noise?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cybyrius

Registered
My 500watt PS makes a really high piutched sound, and im not sure if it is one of the fans in the front or in the back. Or even if it is a fan making the noise is there anything i should know about high voltage power supplies
?

It sounds like you are describing switching noise. Usually, in well designed PSUs, it is inaudible. Sometimes, a loose component or transformer lamination will vibrate at the frequency used in the multivibrator circuit and provide a means for it to be heard. If the PSU is new, take if back and get a different one. It does not represent an issue that will cause it to fail, it's just a bother to have to listen to it.

Hoot

I got it wilth a server case i ordered offline, how would i go about gettibng another one? or is it even possible and would it be ok to just run the noise f'n thing.

well if you happened to get it from www.newegg.com they always seem to help you out with faulty devices they sell you but if you didnt just look around the site for a "contact us" link they usually have one somewhere, GL!

Back