• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tubing question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got a D5 pmp with 1/2 ID outlets and i just switched to 3/8ID Tubing and got the 1/2-3/8 reducers but was wondering if it was ok to run 1/2 for the first leg of my loop then switch it too 3/8, like run 1/2 into my video card block and run 3/8 out of it just so i don't have to add the reducer in the loop to make it look a bit better.

Would that hurt anything ?

Doesn't hurt a thing to do it that way. Personally I think it's better to do that than add a reducer (x2 really) in the middle somewhere*. Except for the increase in resistance it doesn't matter much what tubing you use and the D5 can handle a LOT of restriction. :)
(*unless it's a really long run!)

I've got an MCP655 and have done the same thing for testing. And with a stock MCP355 I've used 3/8" tubing for the runs to and from the pump but 1/2" between the blocks and rad/block. In fact, with one block (though the modern ones probably wouldn't act this way) I actually got better results using a 3/8" IN. I think the open design of that block (an old Apogee) made the 3/8" inlet act as kind of a jet on the pins. It must have been something like that because nothing else in the loop was changed except changing from a reducer at the pump to reducing through the block ...

Last edited:
ok cool, i couldn't think of a good way too add that reducer in the loop and still look clean.

Back when I first started to watercool, I had a pump that had 1/2" inlet/outlet, but everything else had 1/4" I used reducers on the pump & res.

Didn't change a thing other than the pump had more pressure :)

I came across a hardly used Danger Den DD-CPX Pro from my bud, hows does this compare to the D5 I got now ?

It has threads where I can use 3/8 for the whole loop allowing for me not to have the 1/2 leg in my loop at all.

From the review I read, it's not a bad pump. But you will still be better off using the D5 and reducing from 1/2 to 3/8 in the tubing.

But, if you are handy with tools and such and have access to some G 1/4 taps, you might try modding the pump body like Sidewinder is offering right here that are already modded. It looks like they cut the built-in barb off and then threaded the pump body on the inlet and outlet sides.

what the life span of a D5 ? Ive had mine for some time now..... about 3yrs so far. I got acess to alot of stuff got to see if I got a G1/4 Tap, if so I will try this.

OK I don't got a G 1/4 tap so I'm going to order one and try that mod on my D5........ I got a older radiator I need to tap the threads also so Ive needed one for sometime now.

I was checking around for a G 1/4 BSPP tap (the one you need for this) and the damn thing is plenty expensive. The only place I found it at was McMaster and the tap alone is almost $18. And if you plan to work with new metal or plastic and make a new hole and tap it, it takes a special 11.7 mm drill bit also.

You would have to mod a bunch of crap to justify that much for the tap, for sure.:-/

To make things easy, why not get a replacement top for your D5, then use the proper size fittings with G 1/4 threads?
Sidewinder carries one from Bitspower and one from EK.

Sure would make your pump easier to deal with should you change anything later too (like modding it would).

BTW, I don't have a D5.

To make things easy, why not get a replacement top for your D5, then use the proper size fittings with G 1/4 threads?
Sidewinder carries one from Bitspower and one from EK.

Sure would make your pump easier to deal with should you change anything later too (like modding it would).

BTW, I don't have a D5.

Both of those tops are reported to improve flow rates and head pressure as well. Not that the D5 really needs it, but who's gonna complain about a performance increase?:p The prices on them aren't too bad either. I would probably just do a G 1/4 to 3/8" barb on the outlet after the first part after the pump, and the inlet on the last part before the pump. The little bit of restriction may even help a bit if the OP is using a modern block with almost no flow restriction.

thanks for the input guys, I didn't even know about the replacement tops for the D5, that looks like the good way to go for sure.

Follow the instructions carefully, especially concerning the seal. Wouldn't want to hose your computer down! :eek:

Follow the instructions carefully, especially concerning the seal. Wouldn't want to hose your computer down! :eek:

This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind. I make it a habit to read the instructions a few times before I start taking anything apart. Make sure the O-Ring is in it's groove when you put the block on the pump, and make sure that you don't over tighten or under tighten the securing ring, and you should be fine. I have had my D5 taken apart a few times, and haven't had a problem with leaks.

I know guys I water test everything not like I just started doing this... Ive had a loop going for about 5 yrs now but thanks very much for the reminder as I know sometimes when the water gets flowing I like I know others must feel you want to start her up after a few hrs.

Ive had my D5 & water blocks apart every time I redo my loop and never had a problem with them leaking.

Oh I figured buddy, I've seen you around quite a while.
It's just there's 716 guests on here now, and I want that message to go to the stray readers and lurkers too.
Some people just aren't joiners, or they Google in, but they get good info while they're here! ;)

I must apologize, I didn't mean to b rude and after reading it again i kinda come off that way. That was not my intention.

I didn't think it was at all buddy, no worries! :thup:

Did you pick out a pump top yet?

well I got both the D5 and the Danger Den DD-CPX Pro, going to use the DD pump for now it has less that a weeks worth of use on it, but once I either get my D5 modded or get the replacement top for it, I'll put it back in.

From all I can find the DD is a very good pump in all aspects just not as nice as the D5

Just waiting on a fitting that should be here today if the mail gods are nice to me.

Back