• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rads and pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nimrod0031

So I've been out of the loop so to speak and it seems as tho some things have changed. I've a lot experience in watercooling and phase change but my last watercooled rig was my a64.

I see lots of reccomendations on rads at the 120x3 and even people using 2 of them. Are these new CPUs and CPUs outing out that much heat? I only used 2x120s x2 in my last rig and I had a 226w pelt on the CPU and 80w on the gpu.

I'm planning to use a 120 6x6.5 heatercore in my new rig for a CPU block only. Think it will be enough?

Also I like the swiftt pumps and will be going with one of hose again. What's new to me are all the top replacements you can get....is it making that much of a difference??

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)
-nim

What are you planning to install this on? The rig in your sig? If for the rig in your sig, then it should do OK. But you will have no future upgrade-ability with that single fan HC to speak of, since today's quad core procs are pretty darn easy to push well north of 200 watts load. And it's different than just cooling a peltier element since the lowest temps you can get are still above ambient. For a modern i7 system, you will probably need at least a Bonnie HC or a triple fan rad for decent cooling.

As for the Swiftech (Laing) pumps, buth the MCP355 (Laing DDC 3.2) and MCP655 (Laing D5) are good pumps. The MCP355 has several very nice tops and res tops that will help simplify and make plumbing the loop nice and tidy, plus give improved flow rate and pressure. The MCP655 doesn't really need an aftermarket top, but the aftermarket tops can make fitting it in the loop easier also.

Hey guys, not its not the rig in my sig. That old thing is long gone but I haven't been active on the forums obviously :D

It will be going on a amd 965be c3. I have great case vent. I havn't got my heatercore yet but was planning on a 76 chevette to go with the rad I will be using. I was actually going to the store tomorrow to get it this weekend and start modding it for wc.

I need to read up on the pump tops I guess. I like clearflex60 tubing but sometimes its not the most pliable stuff so if the top helped out in the plumbing area that would be cool.

Thanks for your input guys.
-nim

I've seen a lot of talk on coolants lately. I always used distilled water and a splash of antifreeze.

Edit: The 965 currently will do 3.8ghz on stock volts and stock air so I'm looking to hold it over the 4ghz 24/7 mark with water if that helps.

If I decide to add a gpu block I will add in another hc but currently plans are just for the cpu. to me its not worth buying a block for the 8800 when I'm going to be replacing it soon. I do have a old silverprop gpu block around here somewhere I guess I could use but who knows if it even fits, lol.

Edit: the 965be is doing 3.8ghz on stock volts and stock cooling currently so I will be looking to run it around 4ghz+ 24/7 with water....assuming the chip will cooperate.

Last edited:
No need for antifreeze, your running all copper/brass etc. Run distilled with a cheap bottle of Petras PHN nuke. very cheap and choose USPS shippng. Most popular.

Clearflex is okay, it works. No reason not to use it. But for really nice colors, UV ability, bend radius, non-clouding the Primochill LRT is great. Masterclear is a bit better than Clearflex I think. LRT is the bomb tho..........

You can see my year old tubing here:
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

wow, that stuff just by the pic has some nice bend to it. I must look into this lrt tubing, can you get it in clear?

Tygon tubing is good and very flexible.

Clearflex tubing is just as good and extremely flexible. Bad part is it gets clouded over time.

Masterkleer is the tubing I use. Cheap and also flexible, but a little stiffer than Tygon and Clearflex.

Re: Pump tops - Martin's pump top comparison. It's an older article and there have been tops released since then, but you'll get the gist of how much a top can improve flow and pressure.

Re: Tubing - I use Primochill Pro LRT myself and it's superb. Very good stuff. It's what was used reviewing the CM690 II here. See this post for how tightly it can be bent without issue.

Re: Rads - a lot more is needed for i7's than AMD processors, at least currently. They're just furnaces and harder to tame.

Back