• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P6T, Core I7-920 with OCZ 1600 MHz memory issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aruba92

Registered
just picked up some OCZ PC3-12800 1600 MHz memory. 3 X 2 GB. After install it shows up in CPUID as PC-8500 and it is running at 1066 MHz. So I went in the BIOS and just changed the DRAM Frequency from Auto to 1600 MHz, everything else at this point in Auto. Speed Step, Turbo Mode also. After reboot Turbo V shows the DRAM voltage at 1.8 volts, which my understanding this memory is suppose to run at 1.65 volts at this speed. Also Intel says as we all know any DRAM votage setting over 1.65 can damage the CPU. This memory is actually listed in the ASUS Memory Compatabilty Chart.
OCZ3G1600LV6GK
I haven't even OC'd, but if I run prime95 it blue screens in seconds. I finally lowered the DRAM voltage to 1.66 in the BIOS and Windows 7 x64 boots and all, but prime95 still crashes after of few seconds. What am I doing wrong? I had this rig OC'd to 3.3 with XMP memory at 1333 MHz and had no issues. I figured this would be an upgrade. Can anyone help or is something wrong with prime95?
Now I set my OC back to 3.2 GHz and the memory at 1604 MHz. Set voltage to 1.66 and I was just browsing web and the rig blue screened. Everything els in Auto. HELP.

With the DRAM frequency at DDR3-1600MHz (12x DRAM multiplier x 133MHz BCLK), adjust the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage to 1.35V, and manually adjust the four primary timings to 8-8-8-24 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) and 1.64 - 1.65V. If you're interested in giving 4.0GHz a shot, and you have a D0 stepping 920 (a C0 may require more Vcore than 1.35V at 4.0GHz) , give these settings a try. Also if your RAM is XMP ready, then instead of setting Overclock Tuner to Manual try X.M.P. instead. Set eXtreme Memory Profile to Profile #1. This BIOS template is for the Deluxe version of the board, so there may be some differences between the two...

Code:
JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 20X
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
BLCK Frequency: 200
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1603MHz
UCLK Frequency: 3208MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: 7218MT/s

DRAM Timing Control:

1st Information : 

CAS# Latency: Auto
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: Auto
DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay: Auto
DRAM REF Cycle Time: Auto
DRAM Write Recovery Time: Auto
DRAM Read to Precharge Time: Auto
DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time: Auto
DRAM Back-To-Back CAS# Delay: Auto

2nd Information :

DRAM Timing Mode: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHA: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHB: Auto
DRAM Round Trip Latency on CHC: Auto

3rd Information :

DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM READ To READ Delay (SR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DD): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (DR): Auto
DRAM WRITE To WRITE Delay (SR): Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.35000
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88 
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.65
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto

Load Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew : Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 20X
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel® Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Intel (R) HT Techology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intel (R) SpeedStep (TM) Tech: Enabled
Intel (R) Turbo Mode Tech: Disabled
Intel (R) C-STATE Tech: Disabled

Last edited:
I have already RMA'd these sticks. Why they show up in the first place as PC-8500 in CPUID is strange. I also read a lot of nightmares from other people on the web with OCZ memory. So I am going back to what I always been satisfied Crucial Ballistix. See how they do with 1600 Mhz in this board. If not then maybe the fact that this 920 is a C0 stepping has something to do with it.

I have already RMA'd these sticks. Why they show up in the first place as PC-8500 in CPUID is strange. I also read a lot of nightmares from other people on the web with OCZ memory. So I am going back to what I always been satisfied Crucial Ballistix. See how they do with 1600 Mhz in this board. If not then maybe the fact that this 920 is a C0 stepping has something to do with it.

I have the P6T and used to have OCZ Gold.. until i got rid of them :p While this RAM is on ASUS's QVL, its next to impossible to have them run at 1600 MHz, i was never once able to do it, BSODs during startup everytime.. I think you are making a good choice moving to another RAM imo. I switched to Corsair Dominator and they're running great, have even managed to overclock them to higher speeds with no difficulty whatsoever :D

For the record I'm not bashing OCZ, they make great products, its just that P6T + OCZ Gold are not a great combination :p

The reason the RAM shows up as DDR3-1066 in CPU-Z is because Core i7 processors only support DDR3-1066 memory speeds at default (133MHz x 8 DRAM multiplier). In order to achieve a 1600MHz DRAM frequency the RAM needs to be overclocked to reach that speed.

I always had luck with Crucial Ballistic DDR2, so I ordered some DDR3 1600 Mhz from them. See what happens with that.

I was coming in here to say I had the exact same issues (asus P6T Deluxe + core i7 940 C0 + OCZ platinum extreme 1600 mhz pc12800), however I now have them running stable at 1700 mhz. They just require some real finessing with your BIOS settings. And yes, CPUID was only reporting them as PC8500 as well, you can safely ignore that.

After multiple reboots, re-seatings of the chips, and an hour or two fiddiling with voltages I got prime95 running error free for 24 hrs. I will try to post the settings in a bit.

I was actually able to OC to about 1750 and 4.34 ghz but I was uncomfortable with temps in the 75-80 range under load :)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 03 21.04.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 03 21.04.gif
    34.6 KB · Views: 5,227
  • ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 05 15.08.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 05 15.08.gif
    20.7 KB · Views: 5,204
Last edited:
kidfrombrooklyn,

Please post the settings that did the trick for you. I have the same setup (except for i7 920) and can't for the life of me get it to work. Everything works perfectly when it's set for 1066mhz. Prime95 errors out immediately when it's set at 1600mhz.

Thanks

Ciao amici, per cortesia mi sapete dire quanta memoria ddr3 posso installare su Asus P6t Deluxe v2 e che tipo di memorie più performanti Grazie.

Back