• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t4runnr

Registered
Hello everyone. I don't post much (haven't posted here since July 2008) but I used to frequent here reading all the new stuff. Well, since I haven't upgraded my system in nearly 2 years I haven't followed whats been going on with new cpus and watercooling advancements. Thats the reason for this post.

I'm in process of upgrading my pc from a s939 opteron x2 to a i5-750. I plan to just overclock as high as I can without increasing voltage. I figure I can go higher with a voltage bump but at this time, I don't intend on doing that. I also have an 8800 gts 512 that I will upgrade later in the summer (I'll get whatever card that is available in the $275-$300 range at that time). No overclock on the vid card but the way my case is setup, air flow to the card is not optimum. I do have air going to the mobo around the cpu and ram.

At the moment, my water setup is a ghetto reservoir, mcp655 pump (stock), BIX 240 with 2 san ace fans (7v each in pull), swiftech 6002 block and mcw60 block on the gpu. Using 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing) Setup has worked very well.

I'm going to get an Apogee XT and then when I get my upgraded vid card, I'll either keep the mcw60 and get the heatsink from swiftech or get a full cover block. I'm open to either but I'm not worried about that at the moment. I also plan to get a new top for the 655.

My concerns are with the rad.

Through my readings and checking out links of reviews, I'm starting to see that at least triples are a required for just quad core CPUs. Is that absolutely true? or is that for very quiet systems. My san aces at 7v aren't exactly silent but the noise is not overbearing. Almost don't notice it unless I decide to focus on it.

I have room to upgrade to a 120.3 or 120.4. Or should I be ok just getting another 120.2 and run both rads in series. I'd rather just run one loop. I don't intend on going sli or xfire. If I do, it will be because I got the 2nd card used and a year from now.

I'm not opposed to switching pumps either (dual 355s) if I go to dual rad but I think my pump will still be ok.

So, my current plan is just get a 120.2. Any opinions for or against?

If I work my case out to get air to the GPU, then I probably don't need to watercool it. If that is the case, would my BIX 240 be enough for the i5-750?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

You don't need a triple for an i5. You do need a triple or a quad if you add a GPU too.

If your a big to the max overclocker, want a quiet rig, or have high ambients then some go for a triple for the CPU.

Your GPU is going to be the kicker for final raddage. Spend some time at Skinnees and Martins and go for a 500 watt heatload, look at the resultant water temps using different fans.

I think a 120x2 BIX added to the loop would be fine, your rad you have now can handle 250 watts pretty well with some HS push/pull fans. But, if your looking for less noise then make the BIX go away, replace with a low FPI 120x4 or a 140x3.

Thanks for the quick response and input.

I'm currently not using the BIX at max since my fans are only running 7v (at that voltage the fan noise is right where I'm fine with) and I plan to keep it that way. So I'll look to just go and upgrade to a 120.4 or a pair of mcr220's. 140 rads are not an option as my current 120s are still good.

As far as max overclock, I'm not shooting for max overclock of the cpu/mobo/ram. I'm only looking for max overclock at stock vcore.

Last edited:
I've decided to go with a pair of mcr220's due to some "other" things I want to do with my case. Those coupled with my san ace's should do quite well.

Thanks again Conumdrum.

Back