• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A couple DDR3 memory questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scottw182

Registered
I already posted a thread about my entire build, with a couple questions, in General Hardware: LINK

But, I thought it may be helpful to ask my component-specific questions in their respective forums. They seem to get more traffic, so I will hopefully get a lot more input (no offense to anybody that helped me in General Hardware, just want to get more opinions/info).

Right now, I'm going with Corsair XMS3 (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8. In another thread, people were recommending DDR3 1333 memory for AM3 processors. First, is there that much of a performance increase going from 1333 to 1600? I wouldn't mind just using 1333 to save some money, but I really like Corsair and they don't have any good options for me at that speed. The memory I've chosen is only $110, the Corsair options for 2x2GB, 1333MHz, are also $110 (1 set is even $140), and have worse timings, 9-9-9-24. Am I missing something here? What brands would you say are comparable, or better, than Corsair that I could also consider?

Also, I wouldn't mind going with 6GB instead, but I'm a little confused about how to go about doing that. Could I just get one of the triple-channel kits, run 2 of the sticks in dual-channel, and run the other one by itself? Or, would I be better off getting a 2x2GB set and a 2x1GB set and running each in dual-channel?

Thanks!

with ddr3 ALWAYS run triple channel. its the fastest buffer and you will receive tremendous speed boosts from that. I use kingston hyperx ram in triple channel and that works great! Kingston and Crucial are other good brands. G-SKILL isnt bad either. My advice for you is to go with the 1333mhz ram aas there is almost no difference between that and 1600. Those timings can be lowered. I run mine at 7-8-7-20 perfectly stable. Finally ram is overclockable so...

Sorry, I should have elaborated here instead of just posting that link to the other thread. I'm going with AMD, which doesn't seem to have any triple channel boards.

I think triple channel is eventually coming to AMD. Most everyday applications will see virtually no difference between dual and triple channel. I believe there is already quad channel out, which is not offered to the consumer market yet.

Most people say 1333 because you could overclock your 1333 to nearly 1600. but overclocking 1600 memory to nearly 2000mhz is where it really gets into the realm of overkill. So it's just about being cheaper and more practical.

DDR3 lowers energy usage by 30% over DDR2. That translates to heat reduction, which means more room for overclocking. There are also other architecture differences between DDR2 and DDR3.

1600Mhz at 9-9-9-24 is definitely a step ahead of 1333Mhz at 8-8-8-24. you're getting basically a ~25% boost in Mhz for only a ~15% loss in CAS, while still running cooler.

I have some cheap DDR3 1333Mhz at 9-9-9-24 (not overclocked) and it works just great, gets just as good bandwidth as most other DDR3 modules, even a little better than some pricier ones with better CAS.

I wouldn't over think this too much. 1333Mhz is just fine.

Back