• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000 MHz overclock on RAM troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Learling

Registered
I've overclcoked the i7 to 4 GHz, (200x20) Vcore 1.35, and that's been stable for two hours with Prime95.

Now my RAM is (see sig) which is auto-clocked to 1600 MHz at 1.66v.
I know that i have to raise the QPI/VTT voltage, the question is how much. I've tried from 1.45v to 1.65v (from 1.6v and up it is flashing red in the BIOS) therefore i'm afraid I might fry my MOBO. It is completely unstable. If it'll be able boot into windows, it won't even last half a second with prime.

I've also set the QPI multiplier to x21. The ??-frequency is at 7.2 GT/s at these settings. I just dunno what to do.

Any help (mostly something that'll work) will be appreciated

Might want to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS to see that RAM run at 2000MHz (default XMP setting from what I can tell by the RAM listed in sig).

I dont think you will need to raise any voltages, but that depends on how the ratios change after your memory frequency is set at 2000MHz.

I'll try the XMP function. Standard QPI speed is 4.6 GT/s. overclocked is 7.2. so I think more voltage would sttabilize it some.
BTW it is the uncore frequenzy that's x21

Okay i tried the XMP profile x2. well it raises my ram speed to 2002 MHz, though lowering the CPU to 19x143 = 2.7GHz. Tht's not what i wanted. Still, help would be appreciated

Do Gigabyte supply any software that will show your BIOS settings from within Windows? If so that gives you an idea of the basic settings XMP applies for QPI and DRAM Voltage.

CPU-Tweaker http://www.tweakers.fr/cputweaker.html will show you the RAM timings and Command Rate that are applied as well.

well, I'm running everest ultimate edition and from I can see, timings are 10-11-11-29 CR1 at 4 GHz overclock on the CPU, and 1600MHz RAM.
What is the XMP settings anyway? Using XMP profile 2, the Ram gets at 2800 MHz when the CPU is 4 GHz.

If I set the settings to 2000 MHz and timings to 8-8-8-24 that'll get me no where

The XMP settings are those required to run the RAM at its rated speed. The settings overclock the CPU only if it is required to get that rated speed. What you can do though providing you have the necessary software is to see what DRAM and QPI/VTT voltages and also the timings it applies which will give a clue as to the minimum required when you start to overclock the CPU.

The timings you've quoted seem slow for 1600MHz RAM.

well the timings are also on auto. What's best? timings or speed?

QPI/VTT voltages are 1.55v and DRAM at 1.66v

did u resolve your problem? I have the same kit and am having a tad of a headache. trying to get it to 2000 8-8-8-24

I haven't yet seen evidence that a high QPI damages the mobo or CPU. Both Corsair and Gskill are suggesting QPI's of around 1.6v for 1866 and 2000MHz + RAM. Mines now been running for 4 months with a 1.6v QPI with no problems encountered.

same problem here with the exact kingston Ram. Turning up VTT doesn't make any difference. Prime95 blend test will just hang. Lower spec ram like 1600 C7 dominators was used on the same system and they were able to run OCed at 2000mhz. Is there a problem with the kingston ram? -.-

What system are you using Blizz? I'm having some problems with mine too, HyperX 2000 CL8, however I'm using 4x 2GB on s1156 so I'd attributed my issue to all 4 DIMM slots being used. Perhaps this RAM is extremely finicky?

using i7 920 + DFI X58 mobo =.="
I'm really annoyed with this ram. Kingston support is not helping at all.

Kingston support is not helping at all.
damn, I was going to try contacting them, and Asus this week to see if they could help. Thought Kingston support was supposed to be good :(

Have you tried:
  • booting into the BIOS with stock settings
  • then choose the XMP profile, save and exit
  • wait for reboot then power off after POST
  • pull the power cord for a couple of minutes
  • then plug back in and power up
convoluted I know, but that's how I get 4GB to run at 2000MHz (timings end up still a bit off for 8GB) Am doing this now to test each 4GB in memtest and double check that it all works at rated speeds.

same problem here with the exact kingston Ram. Turning up VTT doesn't make any difference. Prime95 blend test will just hang. Lower spec ram like 1600 C7 dominators was used on the same system and they were able to run OCed at 2000mhz. Is there a problem with the kingston ram? -.-
Make sure you have the RAM installed to DIMM slots 2, 4, and 6 (not slots 1, 3, and 5 like stated in the manual). Also fill out this BIOS template for the X58-T3EH8 w/ all of your current Prime stable settings, running at the highest DRAM frequency possible...

Code:
Genie BIOS Setting

CPU Feature
Set VR Current Limit Max: Disabled
Thermal Management Control: Disabled
EIST Function: Disabled
CxE Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
TDC Enable: Disabled
x TDC Limit: 0
TDP Enable: Disabled
x TDP Limit: 0

***** Logical Processor Setting *****
Intel HT Technology: Enabled
Active Processor Cores: All

DRAM Timing
Memory Control Setting: AUTO
Memory LowGap: 1536M

DRAM Command Rate: AUTO/1N/2N etc
CAS Latency Time (tCL): 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 9
RAS# Precharge (tRP): 9
Precharge Delay (tRAS): 24
REF to ACT Delay (tRFC): AUTO
Write to PRE Delay (tWR): AUTO
Rank Write to Read (tWTR): AUTO
ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD): AUTO
Row Cycle Time (tRC): AUTO
Read CAS# Precharge (tRTP): AUTO
Four ACT WIN Time (tFAW): AUTO

Voltage Setting
O.C. Shut Down Free: Enable O.C.S.D.F
CPU VID Control: AUTO
CPU VID Special Add Limit: Enabled
CPU VID Special Add: Auto
Vcore Droop Control: Enabled
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.605v
DRAM PWM Switch Frequency: Nominal
DRAM PWM Phase Control: 2 Phase Operation
CPU VTT Special Add: AUTO
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.21v
VTT PWM Switch Frequency: Nominal
VTT PWM Phase Control: 2 Phase Operation
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.80v
IOH/ICH 1.1V Voltage: 1.11v
IOH Analog Voltage: 1.10v
ICH 1.5 Voltage: 1.5v
ICH 1.05V Voltage: 1.05v
DIMM 1/2 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF: -00.0%
DIMM 3/4 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF: -00.0%
DIMM 5/6 DQ/DQSTB Bus VREF: -00.0%
ADDR/CMD VREF Control: Disabled
x DIMM 1/2 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF: 110
x DIMM 3/4 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF: 110
x DIMM 5/6 ADDR/CMD Bus VREF: 110
CPU QPI Drive Strength: Normal
IOH QPI Drive Strength: Normal

Exit Setup Shut down: Mode 2
O.C. Fail Retry Counter: Enabled
O.C. Fail CMOS Reload: Disabled

PPM Function: Enabled
Turbo Mode Function: Disabled
1 core Max Turbo Ratio: 22x
2 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
3 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
4 core Max Turbo Ratio: 21x
CPU Non-Turbo Clock Ratio: 20x

* BCLK/UCLK/QPI Controller Settings *
QPI Control Settings: Enabled
QPI Link Fast Mode: Enabled
QPI Frequency: AUTO/4.8GT/s/5.866GT/s/6.4GT/s
CPU Base Clock (BCLK): 133 Mhz
Boot Up CPU Base Clock: AUTO
PCIE Clock: 100 Mhz
DRAM Frequency: AUTO/800Mhz/1067Mhz/1333Mhz/1600Mhz/1866Mhz/2133Mhz (ratio referenced to default 133 bclk - so 1333Mhz /133Mhz = 10x DRAM multiplier)
UnCore Frequency: AUTO/1600/2133/2400/2666/2933/3200/3466/3733/4000/4266 (optimal to keep Uncore at 2x DRAM Frequency)

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Back