• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More or faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
Do you proscribe to more is better or faster is better?
Would you rather have 2 or 3Gb of really fast RAM or 4 or 6GB of slower RAM? As an example.

What provoked this thread. I have a few sets of DDR2. Upwards to be able to total 6GB. I got a combination that can do 8GB, but is slower together. So I had to make my mind up, which I did.
I thought it would be interesting to see some replies on the subject. (On a side note: I still might go for both speed and more. Just because I sometimes use over 8GB.)

This is not about my machine. It is how you see it. :D More or faster?

It depends what you need to do. If you actually need the capacity of the RAM, then I would say more size is better because you aren't pushing things to swap (disk). If you don't need the RAM (basic desktop use, light gaming, etc), then I'd rather have the speed.

In my case, I'm running 800mhz (5-5-5) memory, but I'm pushing 8gb because I actually use that much. If I didn't need that much, I'd rather have half that but substantially faster RAM.

Typically I like to have loads of RAM avaliable to me, but it really is more dependent on what you're doing with your computer. Less RAM that's faster is totally worthless if you're having to use virtual memory...if that happens all your time is going to be spent waiting on your HDD.

Back