• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lower vdimm makes higher clocks MORE stable?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm running some OCZ AMD Black Edition 1600 2x2gb sticks. 8:8:8:24 @1.65v.

For about a week i've been trying to stabilize my 4ghz oc but it kept bsoding/failing prime so I basically underclocked everything else including my ram. I found that the system was stable as a rock so I just left it at 666mhz.

I was bored cuz Bad company 2 servers were down so I tried setting the memory to work at stock speeds again. It failed prime again in under a minute. So i thought meh i'll try tweaking the vdimm in AMD AOD. I ran the vdimm from 1.8 to 1.65 and it took a little longer to fail prime. Then i dropped it even below stock voltage and now its been priming for 1/2 hour?! :confused:

If it was prime stable at 666mhz @1.8v why isn't it stable at 800mhz @1.8v?

Hah thanks man.

Been having problems OCing hte IMC on my board (everything is fine at stock I can blend at 4200 MHZ CPU, 1600 MHZ 7-7-7 RAM, but 2400 CPUNB crashes or freezes up computer.

I dropped to 1333 9-9-9 1.65vdimm and now 2400 is blending away. Going to slap some low voltage sticks in the rig and see if I can tune it back up.

EDIT: Yup... blending now (only 4GHz CPU) at 2600 CPUNB, 1600 Mem 8-8-8 1.62vdimm. Dropped my CPUNB down to 1.3 as well :)

This is so funny... because just yesterday I asked an AMD buddy if high vdimm had any detrimental effects on the IMC (I tried bringing them closer together in voltage like with the core i7... but still no effect, guessing they share VRMs or something.

EDIT EDIT: Gave up on 2600 CPUNB and now running 3 GHz CPUNB at 1.35Vcpu-nb and 5 minutes of blend under my belt. Will let it run for 15 minutes before I get bored of it I guess.

Last edited:
I've noticed the same thing with my Adata RAM. if i increase the voltage, it will NOT get stable. If i just leave it alone, it's fine. I don't get it :screwy:

Too much voltage is exactly the same as too little voltage. When you run it too little, the gates can't fully open and you get errors. It is exactly the reverse with high voltage, it can't close the gates completely.

So yes, you CAN have too much voltage :)

that makes sense but that still doesn't explain why its stable at 1.8v on a lower frequency

The higher the frequency the faster the gates have to open and close.

Back