• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how oc'd is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mnorris12706

Registered
Simple question: I have 1066 DDR3 RAM and right now it's running at 1200 w/ my bclk @155MHz and all multipliers at their defaults (mild overclock for now). I bumped up the RAM voltage only .05 over stock.

Is 1200MHz too high for daily use?

**EDIT: please delete thread. Stupid self...it's way early and I spent all last night *not* sleeping but playing with my new computer. Ya, it runs at 1333MHz stock. I'm safe.

*epic facepalm*

OK, first of all if it hasn't already been said:

:welcome: to the forums!

And second, "How oc'd is too much" ?? BLASPHEMY! :) :)

j/k! The simple answer for "how much is too much" is simply either if it generates more heat than what you are comfortable having, or if it simply isn't stable in stress tests or in general use. When overclocking, you generally will run stability tests on the particular component or system as a whole. This lets you make sure it's stable and also you can see how much heat it is generating and make sure it's in a safe limit for your cooling hardware.

So I guess "how oc'd is too much" = however much you can handle! :D

When you go 5GHz on air with an i7.

With your chip you should at least go 4GHz as that is the main clock for a 920..

When you go 5GHz on air with an i7.

With your chip you should at least go 4GHz as that is the main clock for a 920..

I've hit 3.5GHz so far and kept everything cool. Because of the cooler master's low ceiling clearance to the mobo and fan, mounting the Corsair H50's radiator with two Noctua fans in push pull isn't possible. So, I put them on the side panel and tried both intake and exhaust configs. No surprise, the intake worked better at cooling.

Although, even with my Vcore at only 1.25, anything much higher than 155 bclk and full multiplier w/ hyperthreading and turbo mode on push the temps into the upper 60's/lower 70's.

Back on topic to the RAM -- I'm new to all of this overclocking and seen numerous times how temperamental and fragile RAM can be when oc'd. Just overly cautious still. :)

baris that is not good advice. running an i7 on 4ghz, while possible, is something I would NOT recommend

I recommend not to recommend.

Anyway how high, depends on what your wallet can stand if you fry stuff!!

For the record, I oc'd to 3.6GHz and barely touched the voltages on my 940. I must say though, the Corsair h50 and push/pull fans are doing a mighty nice job of keeping everything cool :)

On a sidenote, the moron who finished the attic of my house wired it in a way that every time I stress my new machine of awesomeness, the entire kitchen shuts off :(

Back