• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damage Caused By PrimoChill ICE To Koolance Block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was going to ask if that was a mixed metal block.

Personally, I just run distilled water and a biocide, I believe that's what's recommended by folks "in the know".

That block is plain ugly.

and I still type to damn slow.

Thats all i've been running for the past few years is distilled water and a biocide. And this is why.

:welcome:Welcome to the forums

can I bombard you with a few questions here :)

how long was the coolant left in the machine?

did you mix anything with the primochill?

and is the system toast or dont you know just yet?

G11 and PT nuke change every six months if you are mixing the lovely alu in the loop.

:welcome:Welcome to the forums

can I bombard you with a few questions here :)

how long was the coolant left in the machine?

did you mix anything with the primochill?

and is the system toast or dont you know just yet?

G11 and PT nuke change every six months if you are mixing the lovely alu in the loop.

Thanks,

The coolant had been running in the system for about 6 months or atleast till it pluged the cpu block.

He was running a Antimicrobial Silver Strip and Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide along with the PrimoChill.

The system is a no boot. Not sure if it is the M/B or CPU possible both.

does state it breaks down if you go mixing it on the info I quickly read about it :-/

6 months was probably the longest it wanted to be left for before its "ion soup"

silver strip would either get coated and become ineffective for a duration or react and make matters worse. for a guess :shrug:

I hope you can salvage plenty, its a depressing lesson.... on the late side :(

edit: guessing it was just the block that had alu in it?... reacts faster in that config rather than loads of alu.

Sorry to see all the grungies inside the block. :eek:

Do you plan to try to salvage the block or are you going to replace it with a quality block such as an XT or HK? And I'm not familiar with the Koolance stuff, so is that block Cu and Al or all Cu? What pump, rad and res are you running in your loop?

the block breached through the alu mud (its on one of the later snaps in the link)

alu and something the photos a tad blurry... im off to look it up.

I think he's going with an EK block. It was a mixed block. MCP355 pump, Black Ice GTX Xtreme, and a XSPC res.

High Density Copper Cold Plate 24k Gold Plating,
Top Nickel-Plated Brass

Man, that really sucks. So I take it that when it breached it sprayed everything down inside too. :(

That's why I've always stayed away from any Al in the loop on all my builds, even from my first one back in 2002. Can't have electrolysis if there aren't any dissimilar metals in the loop. And I just don't trust anodizing to protect the Al either as that is so thin that the slightest scratch could breach it and let electrolysis start.

It made a mess and thats putting it lightly.
It has a Nickel-Plated brass top with 24k gold plating on the copper. But thats in ?

Plating is almost as thin a coating as anodizing. And I would think even easier for it to have a slight imperfection for water to get under too.

Yep, that's what I thought. Evidently it had a flaw and water got behind it, eroding the Al away. or was just plated incorrectly and the plating didn't bond with the Al.

And I just went back through the album and now I see what you have; I was doing my taxes earlier and didn't really give the album my attention. And didn't notice the pics with the thumb tack sticking into the side of the block!:rain:

so to look at the koolance site theres, no mention of alu in the materials list as Crazyv stated?

but in effect there is?
and it gets no mention?

seems somewhat deceitfull marketing to me :rain:

if it wasnt for the fact you "may have caused a reaction" by mixing other addetives and the silver with the coolant I would be verging on proper ****ed, about it.

its a grim event combo.

Wow! One of the worse cases of mixed metals/chemicals damage I've seen in a while.

I always suggest ppl going H20 should:

A) Not mix metals
B) Not mix chemicals/additives.

Straight up distilled water with biocide is the way to go. Copper waterblocks with copper/brass heatercores/radiators.

I remember one of the times I had a watercooled system and I added antifreeze in with the distilled water. After about 6 months I noticed my temps were climbing and I couldn't figure out why.

I take the system apart and I found sludge buildup in the pump, rad and block thus restricting waterflow. I'm lucky I caught it on time. The process of cleaning everything out was a pain in the arse. I had to dunk my parts in a giant pot of boiling water to soften up the sludge that it would just drain out the rad/block/pump. What a freakin mess :rolleyes:

Good luck with the cleaning and rebuilding.

He was running a Antimicrobial Silver Strip and Petra'sTech PT_Nuke -PHN Concentrated Biocide along with the PrimoChill.

wow, thats rough!

primochill has antimicrobial agents in it already. says it right on the bottle. cant blame it on the primochill though, ive been using the stuff for almost 5 yrs now without an issue. go with the clear and all is well. ive cleaned my loop 3 times since i started watercooling mostly because of new builds.

why the mixed metals... whyyyyyyyy?

edit: forgot to ask...was a dye bomb used as well? i used one my very first build and it left a slight residue on everything and i had to clean it up the 2nd time around, but it didnt seem to affect any of the components or temperatures...the residue is why i started using just the clear liquid.

Last edited:
Back