• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

system wont boot =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_flying_ebit

Hey guys,

im fairly fluent with overclocking, upgrading parts ex, but not so much with memory.

ok, so ive recently bought an extra 4gb of ram (2x2gb) and the system wont boot with both sticks inserted (yes, they are properly inserted). If i just insert one of the sticks in the primary slot, it boots fine (after increasing the voltages in the bios).
With both sticks inserted, it doesnt show the POST screen-then continues to boot-says "Loading Operating system" as it normaly does, then nothing.
Please help :bang head

Specs:
GA-P55M UD2 rev 1.0 Gigabyte mobo
Intel Core i3 530 @ 4ghz
Nvidia GT240 Overclocked
600w Power supply

RAM:
OCZ Reaper HPC DDR3 2gb @ 1.9V

Thanks, Mitch :)

well I hate to break it to you but ocz is notorious for being unstable and prone to failure. just for clarification, when the sticks are inserted by themselves they work fine (both of them) but when together they fail?

well I hate to break it to you but ocz is notorious for being unstable and prone to failure. just for clarification, when the sticks are inserted by themselves they work fine (both of them) but when together they fail?

I know that both sticks work fine because they were working in another system, the guy i bought them off.

im pretty sure its just a few settings in the bios i need to change, like the DRAM Voltage and the PCH voltage.

any clues?

Post a direct link to your specific RAM, as I'm not aware of any of the Reaper HPC series that require 1.9V. A few settings you might want to try...

Code:
Performance Enhance: Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert (input the 4 primary timings manually; tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
tRFC: 88
QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.35V
DRAM Voltage: 1.65V (this is probably the voltage that the RAM is spec'd to run at)

Post a direct link to your specific RAM, as I'm not aware of any of the Reaper HPC series that require 1.9V. A few settings you might want to try...

Code:
DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert (input the 4 primary timings manually; tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
QPI/Vtt Voltage: 1.35V
DRAM Voltage: 1.65V (this is probably the voltage that the RAM is spec'd to run at)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_pc3_12800_reaper_low_voltage_triple_channel

except i have dual channel not triple ;)

It says on the stick itself:
Code:
[B]PC3 12800[/B] 7-7-7 @ 1.9v
Reaper series 2gb

Anyway, still no luck =( any more suggestions?
thanks to everyone that has helped so far :)

Update

i left the computer to boot - to see what happened - and it tries to go into startup repair, then i get either BSOD, or a few coloured pixels appear at the top of the screen, and nothing happens.

EDIT: after a while with running on the OCZ ram, the system will freeze, and have to shut down. Please help guys! this is just something simple like bios settings...

Last edited:
Hmmm... have you tried underclocking your system to see if maybe you're pushing the RAM too hard on accident? What CPU And Mobo do you have? If you have on with an IMC you might have a problem there...

Give these settings a try...
Code:
DRAM Timing Selectable: Expert (7-7-7-20; tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS)
QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.40 - 1.45V
DRAM Voltage: 1.90V

SUCCESS! thanks for your help guys, but i just simply updated the bios to the latest version, and, so far everything is great =] i read about the version also and it said "enhanced memory compatibility" =D
thanks, Mitch

Back