• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendation needed on new build, liquid or air cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamsde

Registered
Hi there, i just built up a new PC and i'm considering my first liquid cooling setup.

Here's what I have right now:

Thermaltake Xaser VI case
Silverstone ST1500 w PSU
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 MB
Intel Core i7 920 CPU
2 X 6GB Kingston DDR3 2k ram
2X GeForce GTX 285 GPU (SLI)
Current cooler AIR: Artic Freezer 7 Pro v2.
(2X 120GB OCZ SSD raid 0, 2X 1TB WD HD raid 0)

The best i've been able to do so far is stable at 3.4Ghz:
CPU Ratio: 21
BCLK Freq: 170
CPU Voltage: 1.11250
QPI/DRAM Core: 1.25

With these settings I get idle temp of 38c and with a 10 min Prime95 test max temp is 73c.
I walked through step by step using the guide on the front page to OC your i7 to get where i am now.
The top temp seems high and i'd much rather run it lower, when I went to 180 BCLK and had to raise the CPU Voltage the temps went up to near 80c max load.
My end goal is to get the temp down below 60c in max load, and something low low for idle, and to be running near 3.8Ghz or maybe 4 if possible.

Now to the Liquid cooling questions : (I'm a noob to Liquid cooling so I apologize in advance for my ignorance)

1) is it ok to water cool your CPU but not your chipset? (should I plan on my first loop having the CPU waterblock and chipset waterblock?)
2) Is it ok to water cool your CPU and chipset and leave your GPU's on air?
3) What is the potential impact to the GPU's from haing CPU / Chipset water cooled and OC'd to 4Ghz? Any impact?

My ideas so far: i'm interested in any insight or recommendations you may have:

I read through several threads and the basic water cooling guide here's what came to mind in terms of components:

Switftech MCP 655 Pump
Swiftech Apogee GTZ i7 waterblock
Swiftech MCW30 Chipset cooler (if needed? unsure)
Swiftech MCR320 radiator (120.3) (any recommendations for fans here? i have no idea hehe)
Swiftech MCRES-Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
All 1/2 inch fittings and tubing.

My initial thought was to mount the radiator to the back of the case and have the Pump and reservoir somewhere inside. Is this a "common" safe setup?

Also, i read the reviews on the Corsair H50 and I liked it, but i'm concerned it won't be enough cooling. Any thoughts there?

Thanks again so much for any input, I really appreciate it!

Jon

First, Welcome to OcForums :)
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-review/ here is what temps look like with a h50 compared to a custom watercooled systems. might give u a clue at what temps u are going to have.

1) Watercooling chipset is not neccessary.
2) its ok to watercool your cpu and keep GPU on air
3) Does it means 2gpu + i7 920 @ 4 + chipset? OR
2gpu on air and watercooled i7 920
Nope it wont attemps temps if your GPU are on air and i7 920 on water.

For components :
If you are going to put the rad on the back i would suggest the
MCR 320 Drive + swiftech XT --> best 270$ add 10$ for 3 High speed yate loon (3.50each) add 4feet of tubing and u come around 300$ for a clean loop.
or
MCR 320 Drive + swiftech GTz --> if u want to safe some money (2-3) degree higher
245$ (sidewinder + jab-tech) add 4feet of tubing and u got a clean loop.
This is for CPU LOOP ONLY
Or
Go for what you linked but remove the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset cooler

1. yes, cpu only loops are very common.
2. yes, you don't need to cool you gpu's as air is fine for them.
3. impact meaning what? if you have a cpu loop then add some gpu's?

thats a great list and glad to see people do their research before hand. i would drop the chipset block and stick with cpu and or cpu+gpu if you want. also i would look into the newer swiftech XT block as it's currently the top performer.

the h50 is good for what it does compares to high end air at a good price. but custom water will beat it with ease as the h50 is limited by it's rad size.

Umm the XT isn't the top performing block. The new Apogee LT block in short comments is better. Full review pending by Skinnee and other sites.

The XT is a great block. I run it. It's mounting system is par second to none. Can't be beat on a overall review of everything. Great block.

That said, if 1-2 C max increase in temps is no issue the GTZ block at $20 cheaper is great. I ran it on my setup, (in sig) and it was more than I needed.

That said, for another $15 drop the EK Supreme LT is also a great block.

Top performer in a blanket statement is not correct. In this case.

apogee LT???? i see nothing anywhere about a new block from swiftech?

That said i've been focusing on my car audio now over water cooling, wasting more money :) just dropped $600 :(

ek supreme LT
Are u under the effect of something called Beer :):beer::beer::beer:

Umm the XT isn't the top performing block. The new Apogee LT block in short comments is better. Full review pending by Skinnee and other sites.

i wish i was, but sadly no. unless he is saying not to say any block is the top performer as something could always beat it?! dunno what the hell is going on anymore.

Thanks guys so much for all the input, it is greatly appreciated! I'd like to just water cool the CPU and leave the GPU's alone (thanks Grosjambon for the input! Hope that clarified what i'm ultimately trying to do) I'll look at your suggested components, always a good thing to save some $$ and be able to get the same result :)

And to Spawn-inc: Thanks so much for your input as well! I was wondering if there was any overall impact to cooling a CPU with water but not cooling the GPU's with water. Sounds like the GPU's will be fine as long as I do not OC them (not planning to at this time)

Conundrum i'll check out that EK Supreme LT also, thanks for the recommendations!
I'm going to do some pricing and i'll post what I find when I order it.
:)
Jon

First, Welcome to OcForums :)
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-review/ here is what temps look like with a h50 compared to a custom watercooled systems. might give u a clue at what temps u are going to have.

1) Watercooling chipset is not neccessary.
2) its ok to watercool your cpu and keep GPU on air
3) Does it means 2gpu + i7 920 @ 4 + chipset? OR
2gpu on air and watercooled i7 920
Nope it wont attemps temps if your GPU are on air and i7 920 on water.

For components :
If you are going to put the rad on the back i would suggest the
MCR 320 Drive + swiftech XT --> best 270$ add 10$ for 3 High speed yate loon (3.50each) add 4feet of tubing and u come around 300$ for a clean loop.
or
MCR 320 Drive + swiftech GTz --> if u want to safe some money (2-3) degree higher
245$ (sidewinder + jab-tech) add 4feet of tubing and u got a clean loop.
This is for CPU LOOP ONLY
Or
Go for what you linked but remove the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset cooler

Any idea where I can find the Yate Loon fans (the ones you mentioned for $3.50 each?) Thanks!

Good point Con, not gonna rush it. I'll think on it for a day or two and check around for good prices. :)

The XT is a great block. I run it. It's mounting system is par second to none. Can't be beat on a overall review of everything. Great block.

That said, if 1-2 C max increase in temps is no issue the GTZ block at $20 cheaper is great. I ran it on my setup, (in sig) and it was more than I needed.

That said, for another $15 drop the EK Supreme LT is also a great block.

Top performer in a blanket statement is not correct. In this case.

I can afford either at this point, which do you think will be better for the core i7 920? EK Supreme LT or Swiftech Apogee XT? Also another noob question: i'm assuming i'll need to order Fan Shrouds separate for the Rads? Any other needed pieces/parts for mounting?
Thanks again :)

I can afford either at this point, which do you think will be better for the core i7 920? EK Supreme LT or Swiftech Apogee XT? Also another noob question: i'm assuming i'll need to order Fan Shrouds separate for the Rads? Any other needed pieces/parts for mounting?
Thanks again :)

unless noise is a major issue then you don't need shrouds.

Thanks guys!
I've decided to liquid cool the CPU, since i'm going to have to take the motherboard off anyway I was wondering if you guys had a recommendation for a "better" watercooling CPU type setup (motherboard and CPU), keeping in mind my price range for both is around $300 each (paid $289 each at new egg)

Thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
Jon

Don't need to cool the mobo. A full mobo watercooled block, if even made for your setup is always north of $100, that just the waterblock. The i7 does just fine with air cooling on the mobo.

For 300-350 you can get a VERY very nice CPU loop, you can even do it for $250 and still have a great CPU loop.

In fact your choice in your first post for parts was pretty darn good. Some proper hose, a few barbs, some quality hose clamps your good to go!

Yate Loon mediums or high speed fans turned down a bit with a fan controller would be just fine. Gentle Typhoon 1450 or 1850 fans would be better but more cost.

Thanks Con! I'll go with that :) One question for you about mounting: I've seen several "mounting" kits, would you recommend these? Specifically the Swiftech MCB-120 RadBox Revision 2 Black Radiator Mounting Kit. Wasn't sure exactly how to mount this Rad to the back of my case. My case is about three feet tall so I'm not too worried about heighth...
Any other suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated :)

Revision 2 is plastic. Kinda cheap. Rev 1 was metal, can't get it anymore.

Use all thread and nuts, put it about 3" from the back of the case.
DON't put a screw through the rad, pretty easy to do.

There are good examples in the pic thread here, just find the pics.

And, wrote this over a year ago. Good read.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

LOL, not rushing it. I spent 3 months learning and hanging out here and a few other forums before I bought my first WC part.

Revision 2 is plastic. Kinda cheap. Rev 1 was metal, can't get it anymore.

Use all thread and nuts, put it about 3" from the back of the case.
DON't put a screw through the rad, pretty easy to do.

There are good examples in the pic thread here, just find the pics.

And, wrote this over a year ago. Good read.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=312743

LOL, not rushing it. I spent 3 months learning and hanging out here and a few other forums before I bought my first WC part.

Awesome thanks for the guidance! Hey what do you think of the combo Rad/Res/Pump units? (i.e. Swiftech MRC320 drive with pump) Do these units work as well as the separate res, pump, rad setups? Just wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Back