• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How quiet is MCP355 pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mordith

Registered
I just finished moving everything into my new Corsair Obsidian case but one thing that's really annoying me is that my DDC-2 pump is making the whole case emit a humming sound...not really how to describe it. I tried putting foam under the pump but that only helped a little. It gets even worse once I put the side panels back on. I never had this problem with my Antec P180 case so I'm guessing the Obsidian doesn't handle vibrations as well as the P180? So would getting a new pump like the MCP355 be quieter or is it the same as the DDC-2?

What tubing are you using? I've found that Primochill will transfer vibrations to other components in the loop while something like Clearflex being less rigid tends not to do that.

I'm using Primochill Primoflex tubing. If what you're saying is true then maybe that's why I'm getting this problem. I was using the same tubing before in my P180 case with no problems though. How much is the pump supposed to vibrate? I can still feel the vibrations when I hold the tubing going to and coming out of the pump.

If you've just filled it then it's possible that there may be some bubbles in the pump/loop. Shake the pump a bit to help them disperse.

With my loop I ended up using Primochill for most of it but Clearflex from the pump to the rad and from the Res to the pump. The vibration was driving me mad.

I'm not 100%, but I think the DDC-2 is louder than the MCP355, but also gives more performance. It's odd that foam didn't help much. It sounds like there's an acoustic problem, since it gets louder with the side panels on. Maybe try mounting it to a different spot in your case.

If you want a quieter pump, check out the MCP350.

can you get a picture of how the pump is positioned?

if it's a new fill there is likely some air in the pump, but can't say for sure.

I dont know why but its quieter now ever since I moved it from my work bench to my desk. Its still louder compared to when I had everything in my old case but the noise level is acceptable now. I don't remember if my pump vibrated this much before when it was new. It used to be so quiet I could hardly tell it was on. I don't know about suspending it with rubber bands but since its not as bad as it was yesterday I think I'll just leave it the way it is.

Here's a picture of my setup

IMG_2477.jpg

If vibration continues to be a problem, you can try mounting the pump on a block of Gel Stuff that Petra's sells. That stuff is definitely a vibration eater; I've bought a few of them myself for isolating pump vibrations.

But if you happen to be making an order to PTS for something anyways, that's something you can add to the order that won't cost much either too. ;)

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a retail boxed Yate Loon like the one you linked man. :cool:

EDIT: Want a laugh? Check out their bundle deal for that fan on the Canadian website here. You can buy 5 of those fans for only $76.90 CAD or you can buy 5 single fans that you linked for $9.99 CAD each. :D And on the NCIX-US site, the same 5 fan bundle goes for $29.20 USD

Last edited:
That is strange that there was such a huge price difference but it doesn't matter anymore. The bundle for 5 fans is on sale this week for $19.99 right now.

They also have it on sale on the NCIX-US site too, for $19.13, with a 2 bundle limit on it. A good price for those fans, for someone looking to buy a bunch of fans for cheap.

Back