• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I fry my RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

punkjumper

Did I fry my RAM? (solved)

I attempted to oc my system using this post I've had my system in my sig. running stock for a few weeks.

I set the bclock to 200 and the multiplier to 12 as suggested but failed to change the memory and voltage settings. I rebooted after only changing the bclock and multiplier.

now it turns on the fans run for about 2 seconds then it shuts off and does the same thing. I've tried to reset the cmos with the jumper and have taken the battery out for 15 min but no luck.

did I fry something?

Last edited:
well this is rather embarrassing. after trying everything I could think of, without replacing parts. since it was constantly resting I disconnected the reset lead from the mobo and it worked! I got the case all back together and turns out the reset button was stuck in the case.

there goes 3 hours of my life I wish I had back.

well this is rather embarrassing. after trying everything I could think of, without replacing parts. since it was constantly resting I disconnected the reset lead from the mobo and it worked! I got the case all back together and turns out the reset button was stuck in the case.

there goes 3 hours of my life I wish I had back.

During that 3 hours were you telling yourself you would never overclock again!!:) than after it works your right back at it!!!

lol thats exactly how it went down. I was actually saying why can't I leave well enough alone. My computer is needed for my business and I need it up and running monday morning. And an overclocked machine is not needed for my work, but of course a few hours later I was tweaking on it again.

lol thats exactly how it went down. I was actually saying why can't I leave well enough alone. My computer is needed for my business and I need it up and running monday morning. And an overclocked machine is not needed for my work, but of course a few hours later I was tweaking on it again.

I remember the first time i ever said that. I killed my chip,mb,and Power supply. I had a 226 watt peltier on a pentium 1.6 clocked to 3.1ghz back in 2000. Took out $900. The Pump clogged. Left it running while i went to pick up some Taco bell, only gone a half hour!! I swore i would never OC again. I bought a Vapochill 2 days later so i wouldnt have to worry about safegards.

I attempted to oc my system using this post I've had my system in my sig. running stock for a few weeks.

I set the bclock to 200 and the multiplier to 12 as suggested but failed to change the memory and voltage settings. I rebooted after only changing the bclock and multiplier.

now it turns on the fans run for about 2 seconds then it shuts off and does the same thing. I've tried to reset the cmos with the jumper and have taken the battery out for 15 min but no luck.

did I fry something?

That's what happened to me once with my Asus P5QL Pro when the RAM is set too high, when the wrong RAM-to-bus ratio gets selected.
I was forced to reset the CMOS.
(For me, probably was because the BIOS tried to run my RAM at higher than about DDR2 850 (425 Mhz) and IIRC, it stops POSTing when higher than 420 Mhz or roughly that.) (With the Kingston 1 GB (512 MB x2) RAM I was using)

(I now upgraded to 2 GB, but it's a tad slower, at 333 Mhz rating)

Also, it caused the power light on the case to not light up.

--> It was fine after taking out the CR2032 battery and setting the CLRTC jumper to pins 2-3, then back to 1-2, before putting the CR2032 battery back in.

(I dunno if Gigabyte uses the term "CLRTC" .)

Last edited:
Clocking something too fast will never fry stuff. It will be unstable because transistors cannot switch fast enough, but it won't be physically damaged.

Overvolting will.

Clocking something too fast will never fry stuff. It will be unstable because transistors cannot switch fast enough, but it won't be physically damaged.

Overvolting will.

Thats what I was telling myself as I was trying to figure it out and as my wife was sitting behind me saying hmmm... :) hard to think rationally with your heart is in your throat and all you can think of is why didn't I go slower and read more carefully and there goes $400 I never had in the first place.

tweaking is a sickness

Back