• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Timings, what's the deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brown399

Registered
Can some one direct me to some solid information about overclocking RAM by changing latencies?

I've overclocked my ram through my system clock (raised to 250 with a 16 multiplier), but i want to learn how to tweak latencies.

Thanks for the help

What you are looking at is modifying memory timings, also occasionally referred to as "changing latencies" - I've seen other people call it that also.

I'd start with step 2 in our guide:
http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

If you understand what its talking about there, that gives you a start for how to deal with modifying your memory timings.

Here's a solid explanation of what these timings actually are/mean:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ComputingSolutions/0,,30_288_13265_13295^13335,00.html

From that, you can start to tighten things up and see what's stable and what isn't. You'll find this depends on what your memory is rated for, as well as what frequency you are running at - with a lower frequency, you can run tighter timings, with a higher frequency, you may have to loosen timings.

With more specific information about the hardware including CPU, memory brand/model, and motherboard you are working with, someone may be able to give you more specific advice than I could.

EDIT: By the way, I linked the signature rules in your sig, the canardpc links aren't permitted here. We have stricter sig rules than most sites. No problem, just a heads up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and the heads up as well, and about

With more specific information about the hardware including CPU, memory brand/model, and motherboard you are working with, someone may be able to give you more specific advice than I could.

..There's no need, this should point me in the right direction

thanks again:)

No problem - let us know what your results are if you get a chance, odds are someone with the same hardware will be around with the same question. :thup:

And :welcome:

Back