• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using my Apogee GTX with i7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NGL_BrSH

I just noticed that swiftech offers a mounting hardware kit to retro my GTX to a new i7 chip.. think this is a good idea instead of dropping the 80 bills for a XT?

I dont' feel like dishing out the 10 bucks for the kit.. finding out performance from my GTX is poor vs the XT and have to buy the XT after. So i'm here asking you guys that may have done so :D

i have the xt really happy with it..
i think there may be 1 or 2c difference between the 2 blocks....
the gtx looks to be a pretty damn good block anyway...
maybe someone else has used that block on thier i7 will come along...

I would just go the upgrade path in your shoes, just to get away from having that anodized aluminum top of the GTX and have something that doesn't use Al in it.

And I think you will see around 6-8 C cooler temps with an XT or HK compared to your GTX.

+1 muddocktor

I dont like to see mixed metals in a loop. Its anodized but its still Alu.

Get a GTZ for cheap or the new XT. ( or an HK 3.0 )

Yep, GTZ for the win to save you some $$. You really need to upgrade with the new chips. I'm sure you got the copper top for your block by now. The newer blocks are so much more capable of dealing with the heat.

GTZ isn't old by any means. I went from the GTZ to the XT and gained maybe 2C. I upgraded cuz it was time for my annual rebuild, no other reason.

Back