• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will increasing RAM benefit my current setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superfuel

Hi all,

I bought an ok computer a while ago for movies, games, music and the other usual stuff.

I play MW2, Bad Company 2, Dirt 2 etc mainly in multiplayer.

Can't afford to upgrade just yet so decided to get round to finally doing some overclocking to increase the frame rates.

Have the following setup: P5N32E-SLI, E6600 (Oc'd from 2.4 to 3.2gig), 8800GTS 640 (not overclocked yet as Rivatuner keeps reseting the clock speeds?), 2 1gig sticks of Geil DDR2 PC6400 800mhz (oc'd to 850 - won't boot on 900).

I'm running Windows 7 64bit too.

I have a £25 voucher for Play.com and they have two 1gig sticks of Geil Black Dragon for just £30 with the same timings.

If I go from 2 to 4 gig, will I see any performance difference at all on this set up??

If not, I'll put it towards GOW3 on the PS3 instead : )

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Last edited:
Well the more ram you have in your system, the better programs and apps will respond overall.

You'll see a slight improvement none the less. Be advised tho that populating all 4 ramslots on the board will put more stress on the NB when you're overclocking. Some chips/boards don't overclock well having 4 sticks of ram.

If the new ram has the same timings/voltages as the old ram, I say go for it, but you might have to lower the ram speed back to 800, then once you have the other 2 sticks in, try the 850. Might have to bump up the NB voltage tho a notch or 2.

I also say go for it. I consider 4GB to be the minimum these days (unless it's just an email/internet machine for the folks or something).

If you ever notice stuttering and the like in games, extra RAM will likely help that a bit. You will probably just notice overall improvement in the responsiveness of the system in other apps as well.

Def. go for more RAM :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I forgot to mention that my RAM timings are currently 4-4-4-12 and I am running W7 from a solid state hard drive (Which is great as I can open programs straight away as soon as windows loads! : )

To the previous poster - you mention stuttering and I was playing Dirt 2 last night and I get intermitant stuttering when racing. Almost like there's frames missing every few seconds.

It's really noticable and even if I set the graphics to the lowest, it still happens. I can also play on high settings too (bar AA of course) and I get the same performance with the stuttering.

Might this be to do with the RAM? Or if not, any ideas what might cause this?

PS: Nothing else stutters though so it could just be something to do with the game I suppose.

I'd bet that it is the RAM, but to be sure, you can play the game and when it's stuttering, take a look at your Harddrive activity light and see if it's going off.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I forgot to mention that my RAM timings are currently 4-4-4-12 and I am running W7 from a solid state hard drive (Which is great as I can open programs straight away as soon as windows loads! : )

To the previous poster - you mention stuttering and I was playing Dirt 2 last night and I get intermitant stuttering when racing. Almost like there's frames missing every few seconds.

It's really noticable and even if I set the graphics to the lowest, it still happens. I can also play on high settings too (bar AA of course) and I get the same performance with the stuttering.

Might this be to do with the RAM? Or if not, any ideas what might cause this?

PS: Nothing else stutters though so it could just be something to do with the game I suppose.

dirt 2 has frame holes in it. that microstuttering is quite normal for that game. 4 gigs of ram will make a HUGE difference in performance. trust me. that is money well spent

Back