• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All-in-One water cooler solution for possible i7 920?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jpinard

I know this might ruffle some feathers as most people piece out their water-cooling systems. I've done air OC's forever, and want to move to water-cooling when I build my new rig. Is there a good set that makes setup relatively painless?

If a moderate water-clock is better than the best air-OC I want to go that route... plus the lowered noise sure would be nice.

Last edited:
Most painless probably is this Corsair unit if it suits your case:
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-review/

You can get it from Newegg here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3754110&SID=skim1132X509988

If it interests you, you'll want to read Hokie's thoughts in that review so you understand what it is and what it isn't.

Wow, those results are somewhat disappointing. I need a high clock speed (looking for 4.0 OC). So that water setup is only on par with the best air units? What if I paired the setup with this case with the 3x120 radiators & fans?

http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-obsidian-800d-case-review/

It could surely work good, but you'd be looking at a more custom solution - the Corsair isn't a unit where you can swap out pieces and parts like you can a DIY water loop. The folks here can give you some tips on which parts to choose, but it would be most helpful to know your price range if we aren't only talking about all in one units like the 2 we mentioned so far in this thread.

Another option that combines a reservoir, pump and radiator into one item is this:

Swiftech MCR Drive Series Rad/Pump/Res Combo

That will require a little bit more work, but the results will be better than the Corsair H50.

I don't mind a slightly more complicated setup. I mostly want a pump & block system that works nicely together and is reliable. I guess I don't mind if I have to go with a separate radiator purchase if the tubing connections are seamless.

I would recommend Swiftech H20-220 Compact CPU Water Cooling Kit. If you case can fit a dual 120mm radiator, this should fit the bill nicely and come under your budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_re=swiftech_h20-220-_-35-108-105-_-Product

Depends on what he's cooling. And his needs. Most who come here asking are past stock air due to overclocking.

That setup will work okay on a 755 platform, but not on the new i7 chips. If you overclock, the thermal ability of the copper block will not be able to pull the heat. The rad and supplied fans are okay. But the block isn't designed for the massively higher heatloads we have now.

In fact, I haven't seen any tests or user inputs of that one on say an i7 at 4.0. Because it's old and no one likes testing old stuff.

Not saying it's bad, but don't think in an overclocking situation on a modern chip it would be worth the trouble.

Depends on what he's cooling. And his needs. Most who come here asking are past stock air due to overclocking.

That setup will work okay on a 755 platform, but not on the new i7 chips. If you overclock, the thermal ability of the copper block will not be able to pull the heat. The rad and supplied fans are okay. But the block isn't designed for the massively higher heatloads we have now.

In fact, I haven't seen any tests or user inputs of that one on say an i7 at 4.0. Because it's old and no one likes testing old stuff.

Not saying it's bad, but don't think in an overclocking situation on a modern chip it would be worth the trouble.

I would want something that performs better than a Thermalright 120 Extreme.

One thing wasn't considering was an AMD upgrade. My last OC experience with AMD was pretty crappy (FX-57), and my current system (Duo-Core 2.4MHz OC to 3.3MHz) was so stable I wasn't sure I wanted to trot down the Phenom path. Any thoughts? Are they now easier to cool/clock up than they used to be?

Man, tough question. You want fun overclocks or raw performance? I think the AMD is more of a challenge and is a great budget chip. You can save over $150 with a AMD and Mobo combos.

Then raw performance. I'm an Intel user, was AMD when they were the king. Intel is the pure performance winner. Overclocking, mobo choice, encoding DVDs, etc etc.

What do you want?

Back to watercooling.............

You can do MUCH better for a bit under $300 for watercooling an AMD or an intel. Temps will be much much better no matter what. But it starts at $250 with shipping no matter what chip you choose, AMD or intel.

While I agree its not the best, it will still out preform any air cooler or be on par at a reduced noise level. If he wants something good for an I7, he will need to spend some more $$$, but that kit I suggested fits well with room to grow.

While I agree its not the best, it will still out preform any air cooler or be on par at a reduced noise level. If he wants something good for an I7, he will need to spend some more $$$, but that kit I suggested fits well with room to grow.

I see you have been here along time. Do you watercool? Are you familiar with Martins or Skinnees heatload calculations?

Not the best is fine. Buying a setup that can't cool to what watercoolers expect by spending 2x over an air cooled setup need to see? That setup is old.

I beg to differ.

The upgrade costs are high. The CPU block part will need to be replaced. The Rad is just big enough to cool an i7 at stock at high ambients not counting overclocks. The MCP350 pump is fine in a basic CPU only loop. The hose will need to be replaced. The cost to upgrade is close to a full custom kit for sale right now with a much better pump and one of the top CPU blocks.

We just don't recommend that kit anymore. It can't handle modern loops.

Back