• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6GB of DDR3 only showing up as 4GB... P6TSE/G.Skill in Tri

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MmmDieselFumes

Registered
Ok, I just built this computer about two weeks ago. Every couple of days I'm having an issue where all of the sudden, one of my sticks of ram disappears from windows (though not from CPUID):

Untitled-1-7.jpg

And according to CPUID, all three dimms are full:

Untitled-2-1.jpg

To resolve this issue, I open up the case, remove all of the sticks of ram, and reinstall them. Then I turn on the computer, and windows and everything recognizes them just fine for a day or so. I have no idea whether this is a ram, or mobo issue. When windows see's all 3 sticks (totaling 6GBs), and I run HyperPI on 32m and Prime95, it stress' it just fine with no problems.

Then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, I turn on the computer, and windows only "see's" 4GBs, while CPUID see's all 6!

This is starting to drive me bat s*** insane... Does anyone have any idea what's going on here, or how to diagnose further?

Yeah, I've tried flopping them around, and even only running one at a time... They all "work" until one of them doesn't, but I can't tell which one isn't working.

Not really having a cold boot issue (seeing as how I can boot into windows, have no BSOD, or endless loops). But thanks for the link. Has some interesting info.

You may have a single faulty stick. I know you already stated that you already moved "swapped" them around. But I have already seen your problem in 2 different cases, and each case was caused by having a faulty stick. Even though they are listed in CPUZ there still may be one stick of memory that is slightly finicky and return material. I would recommend testing each stick in DIMM A1 the first slot, one by one and find out if one stick does not allow the rig to boot up. Again, this is just to cover ALL of our bases first. Than run memtest on each stick individually for 3 minutes or so to get a base reading. If you did truly already test them, thats a different story.

-D

You read my mind Dom. Started doing that exact thing right before you posted. Had some interesting discoveries.

With 4gb registering in windows, and the full 6gb in cpuid, I restarted the computer and went into the bios. Only 4gb registered in the bios, so I figured I'd start testing individual sticks. So I opened up the case, and as my fingers were touching the very right hand stick (c1) I remembered I needed to check out the AHCI setting in the bios (thought I remembered seeing it in IDE Enhanced mode instead of AHCI). So anyways, my fingers just barely moved the last right hand stick, I put it back together to boot into the bios. Lo and behold, all 6gb are now registering. I load up windows, and here too, everything now starts up and shows the full 6gb as usual.

So I start to think I have a finicky stick, and proceed to check each individual stick. I tried all 3 sticks in the A1 slot, and boot up into windows. No problem, all 3 sticks come up as 2gb sticks in the BIOS and in windows. Strange I think to myself.

I then put all 3 sticks back in the correct spots (a1,b1,c1) and load into memtest86 from my usb. Ran each sticks for 15mins a pop with zero errors, so I assume they all check out...

Anyhow, I just loaded all 3 back in, bios and windows and all my programs are recognizing it as 6gb, so I really don't know where that leaves me. I think the stick that started working when I barely moved it is trying to tell me something, but whether it points to a faulty mobo or stick, I have no idea, because everything is running fine for now once again...

I had the exact same problem last night when I tried to slap in some some Dominator GT. My system not reporting the installed amount of RAM properly was caused by trying to run XMP (7-7-7-20 1t 1600) without tweaking other settings to match. I don't pretend to understand all the ins and outs yet, but setting DIMM voltage to 1.65, QPI to 1.35 and bus speed to 1333 (in manual mode) solved the 4 out of 6gig reported problem.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with Kingston Hyperx DDR3 2000 triple channel ram. I called ASUS and their tech told me the CPU had a bad RAM CONTROLLER, and that he hears of this problem somewhat often. Anyway, I RMA'd my CPU and newegg gave me a full refund.. new CPU is arriving tomorrow or Tuesday, i'll let you know if adding a new CPU fixes it or not.. Til then i'm swapping sticks again... gahhhh

I think the ASUS tech support guy I talked to is nutz.. i tested each stick in slot A1, all test fine.. I test a stick in B1, ALL FAIL in memtest.. Same stick in C1, tests fine no errors.. test the other two sticks in B1, all failure...
Sounds like a bad slot to me? Thoughts? Could it still be the CPU Ram controller?

Ok i'm 99.9% sure it's a motherboard problem, I put a stick in A1, A2, and C1... ran full round of mem test, no problems, booted to windows, Ran Prime95 for 5 mins, no problems... gotta be a bad ram slot on the board...

I just confirmed this on my RampageIIExtreme tonight. Reading 4 out of 6GB in all but CPUID. Started troubleshooting by trying the same stick in each of the DIMM slots. A1 booted fine, B1 no boot, C1 booted fine. Just for S&G I tried the other two sticks in B1 and no go. Pretty quick answer to my questions. Guess this board gets RMA'd. Oh well, system runs fine in Dual Channel till I find a temp board.

I don't know if this will help you guys, but my problem turned out to be dead simple. All I needed to do was upgrade my BIOS to 0901 from 0504. Changes that would kick me back down to 4gig now work as they should, with no change to reported RAM.

Yeah, I could always try that. I spent all of last night clearing BIOS, changing clocks, and changing DIMM placement etc. Nothing worked. I'll give it a go with another BIOS.

Don't bother with Windows when it comes to recognizing hardware. If your BIOS and advanced softwares(such as CPUID) know its there, its there.

The only place that recognizes that all 3 DIMM slots are full of 2GB DIMMS is CPUZ. BIOS Post shows 4, task manager shows 4, Everest shows memory utilization between 68 and 75% while crunching Rosetta which is WAY too high. Is should be 50% or below.
System will simply not boot with a single DIMM in the B1 DIMM slot. A1 and C1 yes, but not B1.

All I can say is: Judging by how many of you that have come across this problem it looks as though it is not simply just a coincidence. This looks to be a common occurence, I have no words of wisdom other than I feel bad for all of you guys. I know what a PITA it is to take apart an entire gaming rig to send in RMA's after waiting weeks and saving up for your hardware. Good luck and keep this thread updated with info.

-D

I just had the same problem with my X58 gigabyte / 6GB OCZ triple channel.. In my case I re-seated the memory (once again).. and it read 6 gig..

I cannot prove this but I think these mechanical slots for the DDR sticks are marginal because the memory slot Levers do not hold the sticks into the slot with a positive "lock", and the sticks "lift" back out from the pressure of the contact areas.. You could perhaps double and triple check, or put on a strap of some kind to compensate..

I have a R2E with something approaching this. I've only had it running for a week or two, but after I started messing with the RAM I noticed a stick seems to 'drop out' so to speak. I haven't had any boot issues, so I'm thinking it's just my inexpert ocing. I will keep an eye on this thread though. Best of luck to all involved.
-Drew

Back