• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 pumps & rads for 1 loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlkCamaro55

Just wondering if this is ok or if I should take another route? My CPU is at 4.5 GHz now and passes LinX but the temps are in the 90's which im not a fan of so I want to cool it down...So I was thinking of either adding another pump and 240 rad with my 240 now OR just get a 3x120 rad and just use 1 pump. Which should I go with? Or other alternatives? Thanks in advance

BlkCamaro

What are you presently using for pump, rad and wb? If you are using an MCP355 or MCP655 pump you will only need to add another rad to the loop as those pumps will be able to handle the little added restriction of another rad with no problems.

I think someone underraded the heatload of those furnace :)
Go for a mcr 320 and temps will shutdown. (only 48$) Mcp 355/655 can handle 2rads. and a cpu loop with no problems. if something else (mcp350) u might need to buy a second one

What are you presently using for pump, rad and wb? If you are using an MCP355 or MCP655 pump you will only need to add another rad to the loop as those pumps will be able to handle the little added restriction of another rad with no problems.

It is the MCP655 pump with the Swiftech Apogee GTZ wb and a hardware labs SR1 rad...what other rad should i get for a second one?

Grosjambon made some good suggestions, but I would say it more depends on where you plan to mount them. Since you say you are looking at a double fan sized additional rad, I will make my recommendations on that size.

Swiftech MCR220-QP - best bang/buck rad in double 120 fan sized rads, bar none.
Thermochill Pa120.2 - very good rad, cools better than MCR220, especially with lower cfm fans, but expensive (~$100). Also can be hard to find in stock.
XSPC RX240 - much like the PA120.2 in performance. Priced about midway between the MCR220 and PA120.2
Feser X-Changer dual 240 - Good rads, higher FPI needs med-high cfm fans to really make them shine. Priced similarly to the PA120.2. Hard to find in stock.
Hardware Labs BI SR1-240 - You already have one and know how well it's built.
Hardware Labs BI GTX-240 - Very good rad. Needs med-high cfm fans to really make it shine. Priced around the other high end double rads. Also hard to find in stock.

You dont need another pump with only the CPU on the loop. If you had tons of restriction 2 pump can help but not in this case.

+1 above for an MCR320 or any other good 3x120mm RAD.

I have no idea where I am going to put this radiator at...I have been debating on it for a few days now and cant think of anything...The one I have now is hanging inside the case on the top...where else am I going to fit this thing? Ideas? Anyone know where I can see pics of radiators in the CM Haf932 that ARE NOT inside the top? Thanks!!!

BlkCamaro

You might be able to squeeze it in just behind the 5-1/4" and HDD bays but it would be tight and you'd have to get creative with the mounting.

The other option is hanging it off the rear case fan ...

Ok so im resurrecting my post just to update and ask question again...

Well I have an EVGA 480FTW card now installed in the loop of my rig and I added a 120.3 rad along with having the 120.2...

Now my question is...the temps are still a little high for what im trying to do, so should I split the loop into two or should I get another pump for my one loop?

the 480 pumps out the heat.. not sure 2 rads are even enough at this point.. adding more pumps wont get rid of heat, just move the hot water faster!

you might want to figure out if you can get a 3rd rad into the mix.. from my understanding it takes nearly 2x 120.2 to keep the i7 acceptable overclocked.. that 480 is a heat monger too..

obviously wait for someone more well versed in water loops, but i've read a ton and most i7 owners that oc are using 2 rads just to keep it cool..

the 480 pumps out the heat.. not sure 2 rads are even enough at this point.. adding more pumps wont get rid of heat, just move the hot water faster!

you might want to figure out if you can get a 3rd rad into the mix.. from my understanding it takes nearly 2x 120.2 to keep the i7 acceptable overclocked.. that 480 is a heat monger too..

obviously wait for someone more well versed in water loops, but i've read a ton and most i7 owners that oc are using 2 rads just to keep it cool..

I dont know that its the 480...it actually doesnt go over 50C full load with a 922/2230/1845 clock on it...its all the i7...im at 4.4GHz right now and im RIGHT at the 4.5 mark but the temps are getting way to high...

Split the loop, try the 120x3 on the GPU and the 120x2 on the CPU.

What rad/fans do you have now? And how are they setup on the case?

Pics would be good.

I was thinking about putting the i7 on the 120.3 and the GPU on the 120.2

The GPU sits at around 34C idle so I think im good there...ill get some pics posted in a few minutes...

Also, the fans on the rad are medium speed yate loons.

Pics in a minute...thanks for the replys...

Heres a pic of the rig...this is BEFORE the 120.3 was installed where the 120.2 is in the pic...the 120.2 is on the back of the case...

GPU temps: 32-36C idle 50C full load

CPU temps: 44-47C idle 88-95 full load 4420.1MHz

IMG_0914.jpg

What kind of fans are u using.
U might need higher rpm ( higher flow ) or u can go push/pull which will help decrease temps. Otherwise u can buy one of the newest cpu block. (Supreme HF is the best on the market)
Google skineelabs and see the test about it.

What kind of fans are u using.
U might need higher rpm ( higher flow ) or u can go push/pull which will help decrease temps. Otherwise u can buy one of the newest cpu block. (Supreme HF is the best on the market)
Google skineelabs and see the test about it.

Using medium speed yate loons...

What voltage are you at on your CPU? There comes a point (which you're probably surpassing) that even water can't cope with the heat your CPU is putting out. No matter what radiator setup, block, pumps, whatever you have it's not going to be enough. Have you considered single-stage sub-zero cooling?

EDIT - Just to be clear, it's not that the loop can't dissipate all of the heat, it's that the loop isn't capable of removing heat as fast as the CPU is capable of producing it.

Last edited:
What voltage are you at on your CPU? There comes a point (which you're probably surpassing) that even water can't cope with the heat your CPU is putting out. No matter what radiator setup, block, pumps, whatever you have it's not going to be enough. Have you considered single-stage sub-zero cooling?

EDIT - Just to be clear, it's not that the loop can't dissipate all of the heat, it's that the loop isn't capable of removing heat as fast as the CPU is capable of producing it.

With an OC of 4.2 the voltage is 1.41

With an OC of 4.420 the voltage is 1.52

What kind of temp reduction do you think I'd see taking the GPU outta the loop and letting the i7 have the 120.3?

Back