• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 ram recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Das kobold

Registered
I am probably going i7 very soon and I want to get some RAM suggestions for stable overclocking. I know that the D0 i7 920s can hit 4ghz+ fairly easy so is RAM choice really crucial to that?

My setup will probably be the i7 920, Asus P6T, 6gb ram (maybe 12gb now or later) and some of my current parts - Sapphire 5850 oc to 1gz core/1200 mem (Crossfire later if they are ever instock again and when Eyefinity and Crossfire work together), 2 OCZ SSDs, Windows 7 64, WC by Swiftech parts.

I currently am using 8gb of G.Skill DDR2 PC800 with my E3110 on a Asus Maximus Formula - Stable at just over 4ghz. I have used G.Skill the past couple of builds and they seem to overclock well at a low price but I am open to other brands.

1600 7-7-7 was the sweet spot for me...

unless you are benching you dont need crazy high speed ram, unless its shown to underclock and tightimins well. :)

I did just pickup a kit of hyperX t1s though and hopefully will have the rig assembled sometime tonight :)

I'm not that worried about benching. I am more for a really stable 4ghz or higher gaming experience, with some minor encoding and photo editing.

Back