• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Dominator 1600 defaulting at 1066?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gear.h34d.2012

Hey guys, so basically topic.

Just got my new rig all up and running and everything looks amazing. I am noticing however that my 8GB of Dominator is defaulting at 1066 when it's 1600.
I've gone into my BIOS and changed the operating frequency to 1600 and all seems well. I do however have the strangest feeling that I'm supposed to be changing something else as well. Am I?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Played around with it, and set it manually. Timings to 9-9-9-24 and 1600MHz. Booted fine, got in and went at some Shattered Horizon. Freeze. Happened twice. Searched around and read about the XMP-1600 profile. Gave that a go and the system wouldn't even POST. >_<

I'm guessing at it in the dark now; For me to run these 8 gigs at 1600 I'm going to have to OC this 930 huh?

Last edited:
have you turned up the ram's vcore? if you haven't I highly recommend doing that as that will most likely fix the problem. also wtf is up with ur ram timings. those have GOT to go down to at least 8-8-8-22. that will speed things up as well. finally what is it with ram defaulting at WAYYYY lower clocks then they are rated at?

The RAMs Vcore is running at 1.5 by default at 1066, and my board installation instructions said don't put it past 1.65. :shock:

finally what is it with ram defaulting at WAYYYY lower clocks then they are rated at?

From what I've read it has something to with with the i7 platform and its defaults. I think I remember reading FSB speeds but I can't quite remember. Last night is a bit fuzzy :beer:

I guess I'll play around with it a little more and see what I come up with. Still, if anyone else has any information regarding what's going on, I'd appreciate it.

~Cheers

Did you know that w/ 4 x 2GB sticks installed the RAM is running in a dual channel configuration instead of triple channel? Since the RAM is rated at 8-8-8-24, assuming it's TR3X6G1600C8D, the rated DRAM voltage is 1.65V at DDR3-1600. You might have to increase the CPU VTT Voltage from the default of 1.2V when set to Auto to around +200mV, which should equate to ~1.40V (start w/ a setting of +100mV first = 1.30V).

The kit I have is actually this one but that kit is close enough. The timings are rated the same (8-8-8-24) at 1.65v. And no Red, I had no idea that running an 8GB kit at 4x2 would run it in Dual Channel. CPU-Z tells me it's running in Triple (or is that simply the build of the RAM?) Is there any solution to getting em to run in Triple config (save removing a stick?)

Thanks bro.

~Cheers

I'm surprised CPU-Z shows the RAM running in triple channel mode, since w/ the modules installed to DIMM slots 2,1,4, and 3 the RAM should be running in a dual channel config.

tsk tsk I would have gone with 6 gigs in triple channel as that is MUCH better than 8 gigs in dual. but its too late

But now I'll have a spare stick for when something goes wrong, which is bound to happen eventually. Optimism jarl, learn it well. :D

FIXED: I think. Went in and removed a DIMM of RAM, so now I'm running 6GB in Triple Channel. Adjusted the frequency and voltage according to the module ratings. (1600MHz and 1.65v.) Rig actually succeeded in POST. /wipesweat. Now I just need to check the timings. They adjust accordingly if you leave them on auto don't they?

Now I just need to check the timings. They adjust accordingly if you leave them on auto don't they?

That depends. On my 1156 EVGA board it will only set the timings right on Auto if i'm using the XMP setting, other wise it runs 11-11-11-? (don't remember that one) instead of the rated 9-9-9-24

Well the strange thing is that when I use the XMP profile, my rig won't post. Only works I do it manually. :( When I get home I need to check and make sure my timings are set.

I don't know if Dominator works the same way as Dominator GT, but for GT you need to set DRAM at 1.65v AND QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.35v for the RAM to run at spec. Also, GT will only function at 1600 as a multiple of BCLK*CPU ratio. Meaning I HAVE too OC (which is driving me nuts) to see 1600, or anything above 1333.

And yeah, XMP is sort of weird acting. My box will post with it, but Win7 hates its settings. I set timings manually, 7-7-7-20, and *poof*, there you go.

im running the same ram also but i have the triple channel kit,on my motherboard the XMP worked fine.what this ram listed in you motherboards list of compatible ram? i ended up not using the xmp as i would rather OC and get alot more performance out of my rig:)

Back