• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Performance Hit? Dual Ch. vs Triple Ch.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gear.h34d.2012

Hey everyone, just needed to pose a quick question. I've searched around the boards and couldn't seem to find much :-|

Basically topic. Seeing as how all I really do on my rig is run 3D applications I tired to build my rig around that. It recently came to my attention however (due in part to my terrible research/consumer skillz :attn:) that my 8GB Dominator is running in Dual Channel mode (now, obviously.)

Is there really a performance difference between me running all 4 sticks of this and running 8GB in Dual or removing one and running 6GB in Triple? I don't really forsee me pushing over 4GB utilized at any given point in the near future so what say ye?

Appreciated.

Try it and see what ya get. Bench in dual, then in tri and see which is better.
If you like it, feel free to send me that extra stick ;) I need more RAM lol

Try it and see what ya get. Bench in dual, then in tri and see which is better.
If you like it, feel free to send me that extra stick ;) I need more RAM lol

Grouch! :p Was going to type exactly what he said. Apart from that last bit ^^. Just check it out for yourself!

It's a toss up, but if it were me I'd probably remove one of the modules, and run the remaining three in triple channel mode. The performance difference, as far as synthetic memory benches (like Everest, Sandra, etc.) go is usually considerable. In as far as something like gaming goes, you'd probably only see a few frames difference between the two configurations - higher memory scores and increased framerates in triple channel mode.

Back