• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alu/Cu Galvanic Corrosion - nude pics included! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vpsporb

Hi all!
I saw in the other thread that there's interest in seeing pics of water-block corrosion. I lost my account from 5years ago... so i made this one to post this.
If not properly cared for... i.e. using tap water, foreign contaminants, etc. this CAN happen to you!! :D
I've since stopped using Alu and Tap-water in my loop! :)

PICT17451024.jpg

PICT17471024.jpg

PICT17481024.jpg

PICT17491024.jpg

PICT17501024.jpg

PICT17521024.jpg

PICT17531024.jpg

PICT17591024.jpg

Yeah, some good closeup pics of what happens with a mixed metal loop with no anti-corrosives in it. What block is that, an old Whitewater? The inside of it looks like the old DD RBX I used to have, which I heard was almost a direct copy of the WW.

Dtek WW

Yeah, some good closeup pics of what happens with a mixed metal loop with no anti-corrosives in it. What block is that, an old Whitewater? The inside of it looks like the old DD RBX I used to have, which I heard was almost a direct copy of the WW.

Heya! sorry I'm in the middle of my tear-down, CLEANING... then rebuilding my loop that's been running for aprox. 5yrs!!!! :shock: Swiftech Storm,mcw30,mcw60,mcp350,mcp655. All-in-all.... not bad inside.... considering a sponge i tried to use in my resevoir as a filter...started to disenegrate:bang head before i removed the piece of crap!!

Yes! that was/is my old D-tek Whitewater... i got it soon as Cathar/Dtek released it in the U.S. I think the Acrylic top WW was offered @The time...I thought Alu Top would be more durable/not crack...ehh learning experience! lol
Yeah the RBX came out after it... 6mnth - 1yr later? always thought the RBX was a cool block!

Bonus image! :) a side benefit of being fouled with... a slurry! lol I found the middle-plate quite... "interesting"
PICT77271024.jpg

Last edited:
That is interesting. It looks like there might have been some bleed-over between outgoing and incoming. It also seems the jets kept themselves pretty clean, considering.

Edit:
Or are you hinting about it being the original design instead of an R2 ...?

Money!

That is interesting. It looks like there might have been some bleed-over between outgoing and incoming. It also seems the jets kept themselves pretty clean, considering.

Edit:
Or are you hinting about it being the original design instead of an R2 ...?

Ding Ding! your first guess is right on the $Money$! The slurry provided a nice visual indicator of the bleed-thru as you said. :) A groove and O-ring would be a nice mod, but i'm moving onto an Apogee XT.. yay!

P.S. Do you know anything about Laing D5/MCP655's?
Half-way down the page you'll see an opened rear of a mcp655. "D5 RPM mod link"
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234698&page=2

If you look at the naked behind of the pump(perv!)lol you'll see a huge capacitor? across the back of the rotor-tub! which my 655 Does Not have!!?? My guess is that i cannot do the RPM wire mod to my pump. :(

So... what's with my revision? what's the differences between my 655 and current ones?

My neked pump.... :)
PICT78351024.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Back