• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't decide on ddr2 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

19qoph19

Hello,

I'm waiting for an rma on ocz memory which is probably going to take a long time since they are out of stock of the fatal1ty edition(never ran stable at 1066-most I could get was ~900).

I've read/heard good things about gskill and muchkin, but I can't find any definitive sticky/review on what memory is generally the most reliable, fastest etc. I think I'd like to get at least pc8500. However, the 2gigs of corsair(edit: should be crucial) pc6400(edit: should be pc5300) i've got now is actually pretty fast

Just thought I'd ask for some advice on this...like i usually do when buying computer equipment :)

Last edited:
stick with ur corsair as that is great! If you want, buy more

Wooops. I meant crucial, not corsair. i was surprised by the performance. Only a bit slower than the 4gig of ocz. I didn't even know that it was crucial memory. I thought it was generic memory until i looked at it in CPUZ.

The crucial 2gigs i have now has already been overclocked to 800 from 667 ( I made a mistake on my first post-its actually pc5300 not pc6400). That's probably close to maxing this stick of memory out, but I'll push it a little bit more ;) It probably won't be fast enough though because I plan on ocing the cpu more and would like to have high performance memory for ocing as well.

The most economically sensible thing to do would be to stick with what I've got or wait for the return rma. I'd rather not have flaky memory though-which i found the ocz fatal1ty to be. I should wait and see what they send me for the RMA, but I'm a very impatient person.

Unfortunately, crucial doesn't seem to make a 4gig pc8500 kit.

This is what I'm looking at in the mean time:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146785

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
i would, but i've had the memory for over a year. I only just now decided to rma it.

OCZ makes very good memory, it typically is very closely binned, which means it won't usually OC much over it's rated speed.
That said, mine is sold as 1066-5-5-5-18 1.8v, and runs 1224-5-5-5-15 1.8v quite happily. I personally have had good luck with OCZ.
Their gold series is generally pretty terrible, stick to platinum or another named series.

G.Skill is another excellent manufacturer, are Corsair and Mushkin. Mushkin memory generally costs a lot more for the same speed, making it a dubious choice in my book.

That said, mine is sold as 1066-5-5-5-18 1.8v, and runs 1224-5-5-5-15 1.8v quite happily. I personally have had good luck with OCZ.

That is pretty good luck! I wish the memory I had performed that well.

i've maxed this ram out at stock voltage, but maybe with i could squeeze out a few more Mhz with more voltage.

Its rated for 1.8V. Is there a safe amount to over volt? Maybe around 2.0V?

Back