• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MB QVL for Memory that big of a deal??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tibai

So i am trying to price RAM for a new system i am building. I'm really liking this Mushkin memory:

The Memory I want

So i went to ASUS's website to look at there QVL for RAM, thats the motherboard that I am looking to get.

ASUS website with QVL link

On the QVL they list Mushkin to have a 4GB kit (2x2Gb) with Part No. 996619 and the One i am looking at is Part No. 996599. I found myself a few minutes later on Mushkin's website to look at the 2 RAM in question.

Mushkin Memory Page

The only difference between the two is what brand heat spreader on them, they are both 5-5-5-15 PC2 8500 DDR2 1066. Does anyone think that I will have an issue? Would I be safe with 6599?

Welcome!

It's the same memory with different heat spreaders. 996599 or 996619 should be interchangable. If you still have any doubts, post your question on the Mushkin forum. Great support there. 996619 is very thick because of the Ascent spreaders. If you plan to use 4 sticks and do happen to end up buying -619, keep in mind it doesn't always fit on boards where the memory slots are close together.

Thanks glorp! I see you like the Mushkin memory yourself as well!

the mushkin you have chose is awesome. its too expensive though. I mean 110 dollars is a ridiculous price to pay for ddr2 ram. get some ddr3 instead. it will be about the same price

the mushkin you have chose is awesome. its too expensive though. I mean 110 dollars is a ridiculous price to pay for ddr2 ram. get some ddr3 instead. it will be about the same price

Be sure to get a pair of garden shears to cut a new notch in the ddr3 sticks. :rolleyes:

The QVL is a good guide, especially for DDR3 since most DDR3 dual channel RAM is made for Intel's P55. Just cause it works at advert specs on Intel doesnt mean it will work on AMD. Lots and lots of folks with AM3 mobos have tons of issues with RAM compatibility since alot of the DDR3 is only tested on the Intel platform. For people that want plug and play RAM, you almost have to get QVL sticks. For those that dont mind messing with timings in bios a little bit, most DDR3 will work in any AM3 board though dont expect the same timings or voltage compared to the listed specs when they are tested only on the P55 chipset.

Back