• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercool or High End Air I5-750

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

I am planning on purshacing an I5-750 and I am trying to figure out the cooling.

I already ready have a Liang D5 pump, and 3-120mm radiator from my A64 overclocking days. What CPU blocks are out there that work with the I5 that are recommended? I don't like the copper/brass ones as I want to stay all copper for corrosion purposes. My Dangerden RDX is 5 years old and looks brand new because of staying with an all copper loop.

The alternative is to get a Scythe Mugen Rev-B.

My main goal is to get a higher stable electrical/thermal overclock. I understand water should yield better temps, but does that correlate directly to higher maximum clock? I always see reviews showing temperatures, yet I never see anyone show that switching to water made them run any faster.

My old A64 didn't get any faster with water, just cooler. I just want to make sure the extra efforts of doing a water loop are justified this time around.

Last edited:
None of the top blocks use aluminum in them any more. The HK3.0 is a very good block and among the top performers. The Swiftech Apogee XT is also a very good block and at least as good as the HK. Swiftech learned from the Apogee GTX and haven't used any aluminum since it in their waterblocks. I am presently running an XT on my QX9650 system and I will try the HK3.0 on that system when I get in. I am very satisfied with the performance of the XT though and it really looks nice and spiffy mounted up on my mobo.

And since you already have a rad and pump, definitely go with a loop. All you need is a waterblock, fresh tubing and a res if you want one instead of a T line. Some good tubing to use is the Primochill Pro LRT stuff. It takes bends realy well without kinking, is resistant to hardening and comes in colors too. I have one system using black and another one using white tubing.

I was looking up the heatkiller and it looks like it has a metal plate inside of it that isn't copper. Is this true? Also, the summary on frozencpu says you have to open it for quad core application to alter somehow? What is it referring too?

The plate is metal. Yep. Probably a high quality stainless. ALL of the top watercoolers out there are 100% past odd watercooling dissimlar metals. You can just forget that issue. NO MORE metal issues.

Buy what Mudd said. Your perfect.

Last edited:
Back